Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I did a "sudo apt-get autoremove" and got rid of most if not all of the orphaned files if not all of them. I know this is something that I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I did a "sudo apt-get autoremove" and got rid of most if not all of the orphaned files if not all of them. I know this is something that I'm just going to have to learn sooner or later but dang why can't they just make .deb packages out of stuff like this. That would make it a lot easier to install using GDebi Package Installer.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    the problem is you became the package manager ... for future try . . .
    You might find make uninstall works ...
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I did a "sudo apt-get autoremove" and got rid of most if not all of the orphaned files if not all of them. I know this is something that I'm just going to have to learn sooner or later but dang why can't they just make .deb packages out of stuff like this. That would make it a lot easier to install using GDebi Package Installer.
    GDebi, or apt-get, or synaptic. Btw - the apt-get autoremove will only manage stuff apt-get installed. If I recall, apt-get is a front end for apt, as are Gdebi and Synaptic - or they all store installation data in the same db. So autoremove works for that whole family - but not if you ran a manual make/configure install.

There was a reference to a .ppa that might have a .deb of this app. Did you investigate that?

Otherwise, about all I can do is sympathize - I've almost never gotten a make/configure/install to work properly. There is always something going wrong - and that something almost always is different each time, and requires a new learning curve, until I'm buried in researching something I won't use again in the next six years, taking hours for something that was a whim, or a trial balloon to compare with another package. So, if it requires a manual install, I quite bothering with it right there. It would have to be a very high priority any more to overcome the potential obstacles.

A couple of times I've aliened rpm packages* successfully. At least that got me a .deb so that apt-get could do the package mgmt.

Alien = package mgr modifier, changes rpm to deb, etc, and vice versa.

I don't think it actually got to make or install anything since it failed at the "qmake .." part of the install, well before anything was installed. Not going to worry about it too much, found two SDR programs that I installed with Synaptic so I'm good for now.

Just Joined!
    Hehe, yeah. That's about my experience with make! And yes, you are right about not installing anything since it failed at the qmake. I think I actually got a make to work once, about 4 or 5 years ago! It never seems like it should be hard - but it just seems to end up that way.

Glad you found something!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2