Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to set it up so I won't have to run as root all the time (changing permissions/ownerships, setting up groups, etc.), but for no reason I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

su refuses to accept root password

I've been trying to set it up so I won't have to run as root all the time (changing permissions/ownerships, setting up groups, etc.), but for no reason I can find, when logged in as a user, su won't accept the root password, which I know works, because I can log in as root without any problems. I've tried using to passwd to reset my password, but it still won't su. I can su from root to something else (which doesn't require a password), but the reverse won't work whether I put in the right password or not, no matter how many times I try. It does this under X, console, anything, even trying to run root access only GUI configs with the GUI'd password entry, it just won't work
    I'm running Gentoo (~x86, stage2).
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    usermod -G users,wheel,cdrom,disk,games,foo,bar,baz,bleh <username>
    you have to be in the wheel group. but, everytime you add another group with usermod -G, you have to type the entire list again. use the 'groups' command to see the current list of groups your user is in.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Engineer
    Try using the command 'login' if you can't get su to work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I fixed it, but then xmms-itouch crashed xmms in a rather spectacular way, leaving me with a system that refuses to accept the root password for anything. I'm currently in the process of re-installing Gentoo.
    At least now I have an excuse to add xinerama support and do a stage1 installation (i had stage2).
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Engineer
    Heh, the login command like I said likely won't work anyway. Try it and it will tell you why. Although I do remember it working on an old distro I got around here somewhere.