Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! It seems that there is a bug in rsync when copying to some filesystems, by which the rename operation fails randomly when performing backup. The task is unable to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Mass file rename (strip leading dot and random end string) rsync error

Hello!

It seems that there is a bug in rsync when copying to some filesystems, by which the rename operation fails randomly when performing backup. The task is unable to rename a temp file created during backup and ends with an error (but the files are copied entirely and correctly). It happens when copying to an LTFS (linear tape filesystem), a high capacity magnetic tape, and I read that also happens within other filesystems and/or devices:

Code:
    rsync: rename "/mnt/ltfs/file.ext" -> "file.ext": Operation not permitted (1)
    The bug is not corrected in rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29 (under OS X Mountain Lion, xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64).

So some copied files end up with a leading dot (so, hidden) and a six character random trailing string:

Code:
    .file.ext.abcde
    I don't think if there's a solution within rsync, so I need to mass rename the few copied files that end up with the dot and the trailing string (recover the original filename):

Code:
    .file.ext.abcde -> file.ext
    The filename contains no spaces and the trailing string varies.

In OS X there's no rename command (I can't install anything). Maybe sed, awk? (sorry but I have not enough experience with these commands).

Any help will be appreciated!

Salut!

Just Joined!

Just Joined!
    What about something like this:

for fn in *
    do
    char1=${fn:0:1}
    if [ $char1 != "." ]
    then
    continue
    fi
    prefix=$(cut -d'.' -f 2)
    suffix=$(cut -d'.' -f 3)
    mv $fn $prefix"."$suffix
    done
    Last edited by BowCatShot; 08-08-2014 at 07:23 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close