Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having a problem with xfdesktop crashing and then seg faulting when I try to restart it. When I try to register with the xfce forums to ask for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why are xfce forums so hard to register with?

I am having a problem with xfdesktop crashing and then seg faulting when I try to restart it. When I try to register with the xfce forums to ask for help there is an obtuse sequence to be discerned to complete the registration, why?

Many of these forums have stupid signup processes to prevent automatic registration by bot, but normally its really easy for humans to cope with the process. Ours is a bit odd, but as a new user you probably know that already.

I can't comment on why another forum would make it difficult, that's their own internal decision. All I can suggest is to try posting the issue here.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I am not actually a new user. I have been using Linux for about 10 + years and have been or are members of many different forums. The registration process for xfce is Frankenstein in its current application. Xfce is generally very good. I switched to xfce after gnome got so bazaar. The problem with xfdesktop happened after an update. Since I was not able to register with xfce, I though that this would be a good place to ask questions because so many people check Linux Forums.

I just signed up and took less than a minute, its one of the simplest signups I've seen. What kind of problem are you having?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I just signed up and took less than a minute, its one of the simplest signups I've seen. What kind of problem are you having?
    When I get to the bottom where this is "What is the output of date -u +%jXfce|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g' if you run it in a terminal emulator?"
    and I run in a terminal I get either - or a 20 digit hexadecimal number neither of which seem to be what is wanted.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The result I get is a 64 character string. What distro are you running?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by reguspatoff View Post
    When I get to the bottom where this is "What is the output of date -u +%jXfce|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g' if you run it in a terminal emulator?"
    and I run in a terminal I get either - or a 20 digit hexadecimal number neither of which seem to be what is wanted.
    I just cut and pasted it from thier page to a terminal and get a 64 character string: 16b373dd11e8cfe2758bdae715cd9a5636fb89fa0543252d1b fdf6c390451bb1

The only thing I found odd is they have you create a password that they change in their signup confirmation email. Not a big deal just odd.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    I just cut and pasted it from thier page to a terminal and get a 64 character string: 16b373dd11e8cfe2758bdae715cd9a5636fb89fa0543252d1b fdf6c390451bb1

The only thing I found odd is they have you create a password that they change in their signup confirmation email. Not a big deal just odd.
    Should be what everyone gets given the -u %j on date. It's hard to imagine why it would truncate to 20 chars or sometime output a "-"?

Quote Originally Posted by reguspatoff View Post
    I am not actually a new user. I have been using Linux for about 10 + years...
    Sorry. I didn't make it clear - I wasn't suggesting you were a new Linux user, but as a user with 1 post on here (at the time I answered) I assumed you were a new user to LinuxForums. Maybe that was incorrect.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/