Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
could someone please help me with firefox i have version 27, I hat 27 always have i thought i would have to use a windows version to get my ver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question help with firefox please

could someone please help me with firefox

i have version 27, I hat 27 always have

i thought i would have to use a windows version to get my ver 19

then i found sites mozilla old version etc

with linux ver 19 of firefox

but they are tar, when unzipped its a worthless folder

i have been on every site forum and cant get it to work

i have tried notepad putting in my file instead of the one posted

short story over a hour or more i cant get the thing installed

i think i attached a pic of my download folder if that helps

thank you so much

Linux Engineer
    The picture isn't large enough for me t see what it is. Some information that would help Where you downloaded it, the filename and if it unpacks to a folder show the contents by giving a listing of the directory (ls).

firefox-19.0_x64.tar.bz2 from firefox website its in the home my name downloads

thats as far as i get i have spent half the day with notepad making website commands for this work on mine(like they say version 3.0 or different folder etc)

i always leave the main command intact just the info

i am wondering if i shot the crap out of my install by how many failed or half worked commands

i need a easy to follow straight up command line that all the sites say it takes to install

i cant find a single site or forum with the same or right command input and thats the part im trying to study and get better at

im sorry i cant give better than that i dont always think of screen shots like i should i got it halfway once but it kept telling me that a part already existed

and again worthless web help on that

very sorry and thanks for looking

Linux Engineer
    OK. Starting from after the download. Note what directory you down loaded into. We'll call it <dir>. If you have firefox open close it.
    Code:
    cd <dir>
    tar -xjf firefox-19.0_x64.tar.bz2
    ./firefox/firefox
    If there are errors in the terminal copy them and paste them here.

here i found one page i was useing maybe this will help more

Once you have downloaded a Firefox tar file from the archive, untar it in your system.
    $ sudo tar xvfvj ~/Downloads/firefox-3.5.9.tar.bz2 -C /opt

If your system already has another version of Firefox installed (e.g., /usr/bin/firefox), create a backup as follows.
    $ cd /usr/bin
    $ sudo mv firefox firefox-backup

Finally, create a symbolic link pointing to the Firefox you just installed.
    $ sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
    $ sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/firefox

i have gotten all the way to /usr/bin/firefox one time but it kept telling me /usr/bin/firefox was already there and i tried to many to count sites and solutions and none work

like asked in my other post am i doing allot of damage with these half worked commands? i have this one and open office i followed open office website and even that just did a half

i try very hard to avoid command line programs because i havent learned or read enough yet but finding allot of linux is half installers and other half command line installed programs

i am wondering if zorin is too new but it sits on ubuntu so i wouldnt think so i tried hard to go with a solid high recomended and i have heard and had suggested so much the ubuntu just being from windows i hated the look and not easy like zorin till i learn zorin is close to same menues and mouse right click commands

sorry to ramble thanks so much for your time i know im not easy so extra thanks

Linux Engineer
    Try the instructions I gave first and make sure it runs.

here is whats going on most of the time no matter where i put the file it comes with the orphen error lets see how many pics i can post not sure site rules i took them every move i made this timeAttachment 5543Attachment 5544Attachment 5545Attachment 5546Attachment 5547

thats all i got time for tonight

again thank so much for patience and help

ok i just dowloaded the best without paying linux screenshot this site is shrinking my crap to unreadable

guess im down to trying to make my responses more clear and step by step try again tommorow
    Last edited by omg-im-scared; 02-25-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: pics suck site shrinks

Quote Originally Posted by omg-im-scared View Post
    here i found one page i was useing maybe this will help more

Once you have downloaded a Firefox tar file from the archive, untar it in your system.
    $ sudo tar xvfvj ~/Downloads/firefox-3.5.9.tar.bz2 -C /opt

If your system already has another version of Firefox installed (e.g., /usr/bin/firefox), create a backup as follows.
    $ cd /usr/bin
    $ sudo mv firefox firefox-backup

Finally, create a symbolic link pointing to the Firefox you just installed.
    $ sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
    $ sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/firefox

i have gotten all the way to /usr/bin/firefox one time but it kept telling me /usr/bin/firefox was already there and i tried to many to count sites and solutions and none work

like asked in my other post am i doing allot of damage with these half worked commands? i have this one and open office i followed open office website and even that just did a half

i try very hard to avoid command line programs because i havent learned or read enough yet but finding allot of linux is half installers and other half command line installed programs

i am wondering if zorin is too new but it sits on ubuntu so i wouldnt think so i tried hard to go with a solid high recomended and i have heard and had suggested so much the ubuntu just being from windows i hated the look and not easy like zorin till i learn zorin is close to same menues and mouse right click commands

sorry to ramble thanks so much for your time i know im not easy so extra thanks
    You making common noob mistake in trying things from a lot of sites and don't understand what they are having you do. In other words you making it harder than it is. I would suggest relax and follow what gregm is asking you to do, and cut and paste any messages that appear on the screen.

docbop
    thanks allot thats why i will try again tommorow you get to irritated and dont do things right and i cant take screenshots so i will see if copy the messages works

thanks

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by omg-im-scared View Post
    here is whats going on most of the time no matter where i put the file it comes with the orphen error lets see how many pics i can post not sure site rules i took them every move i made this timeAttachment 5543Attachment 5544Attachment 5545Attachment 5546Attachment 5547

thats all i got time for tonight

again thank so much for patience and help

ok i just dowloaded the best without paying linux screenshot this site is shrinking my crap to unreadable

guess im down to trying to make my responses more clear and step by step try again tommorow
    Everyone has to start somewhere and it can be a bit confusing at first.

Your Linux user name appears to be dan. If so, your home directory will most likely be /home/dan. A shortcut for your home directory is ~/. Your download directory is most likely found at /home/dan/Downloads or ~/Downloads. Note that caps matter in UNIX.

So -
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    pwd
    ls
    Should take you to your Downloads, print the directory path and then list its contents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast