Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yancek
Kubuntu 12.04 I don't know how to install a program from a .tgz download. I downloaded CrashPlan_3.6.3_Linux.tgz. When I double click on it it opens a folder that has an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install From a .tgz

Kubuntu 12.04
    I don't know how to install a program from a .tgz download. I downloaded CrashPlan_3.6.3_Linux.tgz. When I double click on it it opens a folder that has an INSTALL file with this info: To install CrashPlan run the installer in this directory: ./install.sh and follow the instructions.

I clicked on /install.sh and a lengthy shell script file opened. I'm not familiar with script/dos/code/programming and I don't understand what to do with that.

I hope I can get a simple step-by-step on how-to, and where, to install.

Crashplan(free) - Backup for every file.
    www(dot)code42(dot)com/store/

Linux Guru
    To install CrashPlan run the installer in this directory: ./install.sh and follow the instructions.
    That means you open a terminal and change to the directory to which 'CrashPlan' was downloaded. Since you know where that is, check the permissions and make sure it is executable. In the directory where you have the install.sh file do: lls -l install.sh to see if it is executable. If not make it so: chmod 755 install.sh. Then just type in the command: ./install.sh while you are still in that directory.

I'm not familiar with script/dos/code/programming
    There's no programming involved just the ability to read/write (or type actually).
    docbop likes this.

From their website....

Installing CrashPlan - Code42

Just Joined!
    It took me a while to figure it out but I eventually got to where it started to install. During the process I was required to read through the EULA which was a good thing. I stopped the installation because this part of the EULA scared me: "Code 42 and its business partners have a right to provide promotional offers, advertising and other information to you in connection with your use of CrashPlan, and that (ii) Code 42 has a right to allow CrashPlan Software and the Code 42 Products and Services to utilize the processor, bandwidth and storage hardware on your Device in association with the Code 42 Products and Services".

Thanks for your help. You wrote: "There's no programming involved just the ability to read/write (or type actually)"? It took a few tries to cd before I realized that the entries are case sensitive. At least I learned a little bit today.

I'll consider this solved.