Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good morning. From my understanding, MC does not support SFTP per say, but it uses FISH (sh command). The FTP support is only for plain FTP. I have a Synology ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Requesting help with Midnight Commander and SFTP

Good morning.

From my understanding, MC does not support SFTP per say, but it uses FISH (sh command). The FTP support is only for plain FTP.

I have a Synology diskstation and I would like to be able to transfer files to my off-site backup, a Seagate FoFlex home I bought. Since Synology does not have FTP client support my only option seem to be using MC with Putty.

I have encountered several difficulties and I would like some help.

1. How can I shutdown my computer (computer that I have accessed MC via Putty) once I have initiated the transfer. I noticed that if I close Putty, the transfer also stops. Since my transfers are hundred of GB's, and it would take days to complete, I don't wish to have to leave my computer on.

Now, the following questions are regarding sh, connecting securely.

It seems that every time I use sh command to connect to my seagate I encounter the following errors:

Error 1: is this, which I have solved as per the blog
    pesikov.tk/blog/cannot-chown-target-file-remote-io-error-121/

I am not sure if the attributes only mean ownership/permissions or it also includes actual data.

Error 2: This is the worst error as I don't know how to fix it. Once the transfer is initiated, it transfers for several seconds (several MB's) and then I get prompted with this error (see attachment).

In that case it took 22 seconds for the error to appear. I have plenty of space on my Seagate, and this error does not happen when using FTP (plain FTP, unsecure).

If anyone could help me with my initial question and error 2 (and maybe some explanation regarding error 1)

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You should be able to start background transfers that last after you close your terminal with the nohup command. Read the man page about that. IE, you start your transfer with nohup, and when you log off, it should not terminate programs started that way which would otherwise be connected with the terminal. When you close a terminal, attached programs get a HUP signal that usually causes them to shut down.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the long reply. Thank you for this, however, I cannot figure a way to "restore" programs started with nohup. For example I use the nohup mc & command, but I do not know how to retrieve the mc instance started with nohup to browse and initiate the transfer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You might be able to do that provided you started it with job control, in which case you can use the jobspec provided to bring it back to the foreground with the shell "fg jobspec" command. The thing is is that jobs started with nohup usually have their input redirected from /dev/null and output to $HOME/nohup.out, but since I don't know exactly how you invoked nohup I can't say whether or not you will be able to "restore" the programs so started back to the terminal you are working on.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!