Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gregm
Anyone have a good GUI based Code Scan Tool and ECM hacking tool for Debian? I've ordered a USB to OBD II dongle for my laptop and I'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ECM/Scan Tool for Debian.

Anyone have a good GUI based Code Scan Tool and ECM hacking tool for Debian? I've ordered a USB to OBD II dongle for my laptop and I'd like to tweak the computer in my car and be able to read any codes and see real time sensor data.
    I've installed Scantool in Synaptic but there's no icon to click so it must be a Terminal based app. Same with OpenOBD, I installed the .deb package but again, no icon showed up in my Applications so it too must be Terminal based. I'd like something that would be a simple "click the icon and do my thing" kind of deal. So doesn anyone know of any Open Source app to do the kind of stuff that the expensive Reprograming tools or TOAD does but that's free? Thanks.

Linux Guru
    I don't have an answer to your question but will point out that just because an app doesn't show up in the Applications widget doesn't mean it doesn't have a gui.
    docbop likes this.

I'm thinking that it's something that I'll have to start in Terminal and then it'll show up but no directions were given as to how to start it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Yup - sometimes they use a different name or have multiple executables too - which doesn't make it easier.

I have found this:
    OBD-II software for car diagnostic | OBD Auto Doctor
    Which actually installs an icon that you click to open the program. I have the free trial version but when you open it it also asks for Lic and Key info so I guess there's a version that you can buy or maybe you have to buy it after so long when your trial runs out. Either way this is more like I'm looking for where you get an icon in your menu to show you where the program is.
    Still need to find something to tweak/hack the ECM to reset stuff though.

P.S.
    Also ordered an ELM 327 compliant Bluetooth OBD II adapter just in case the USB OBD II cable that I ordered doesn't work. Better safe then sorry AND it'll be my FIRST Bluetooth device.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 03-11-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Ok, guess I should have researched it out a bit more before I ordered the USB/OBD II cable that I got today. It's a VAG-COM 409.1 compatible cable which I find out only works on VW's and Audi's, neither of which I own. Hopefully the ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD II adapter will work since that's what the software I have installed actually takes. OBD Auto Doctor is an icon in my Apps, Scantool can be started up by typing "scantool" in Terminal and same deal with OpenOBD, type "openobd" in Terminal and it'll start. All of these seem to only work with ELM 327 so I'm going to have to wait for the Bluetooth adapter.
    Live and learn.

Got the ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD II adapter today and gave it a test run. Worked like a champ once I got OBD Auto Doctor linked to it. For some reason my laptop couldn't link to it via the Bluetooth connections in panel but the OBD II program found it after about two tries.
    Scantool that I installed from Synaptic didn't "see" the OBD II Bluetooth adapter dispite my best try to change up COM ports and stuff. Oh well, doesn't really matter as long as one of em' works. Much cheaper then having to go out and spend $40 or more on a Code Reader.

Linux Guru
    Thanks for the info. Looks like a good deal.