Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all... I am on Linux, Debian and have Emacs installed and pretty much running with a couple of my own lisp code, that I'm trying to learn. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Emacs 'info' file path

Hello all... I am on Linux, Debian and have Emacs installed and pretty much running with a couple of my own lisp code, that I'm trying to learn. I have run into a problem as I wanted to learn about the diredit portion of Emacs and attempted to load the manual. It returned a file not found error.

I tried a few things and found that I am not sure I know where the 'install-info' program actually installed it's files, where the actual info file name for emacs that was suggested by the document I read is either.

All of this seems compounded by the fact that, while searching, I ran across a bug, true or not, it did confuse me...that document is here

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=54206

I just want to get the help files, that I supposedly downloaded, but it (or I) can't seem to find...

Thanks..

Jack

Since no one answered this post, and I figured it out, I will pass it along. I'm doing this as I've searched for 'things' and found numerous links to forums that the question is asked. Sometimes the user, like me, figures it out or nobody ever answers. It's frustrating to be looking for something, find the question and read that he solved it, but never stated where or how it was solved. So..

First is the need for an info program that formats information in files to be usable for programs like emacs help facility. One is 'texinfo' (notice the 't' is missing) and is in the Debian distributions. Files have the name format of [help].info.gz so for information on 'help' that path would be the file accessed by emacs. To create the file, you need to read information about 'texinfo' and pre-process the text file to produce the required 'info' file.. To find out where emacs is looking, you can display the variable in emacs that contains the possible paths. Typing (using emacs notation) C-h v 'Info-default-directory-list' <RET>, no quotes around the variable name. This is the list emacs uses to find any 'help' subject.

Hope this gives anyone else enough information to accomplish their task.

Jack