Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, Hopefully this is the right spot. Pretty new to Linux and trying to figure out how to set up a Centos 6.5 DNS Server on a Windows Active ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Centos 6.5 dns server in Active Directory environment

Hello all,

Hopefully this is the right spot. Pretty new to Linux and trying to figure out how to set up a Centos 6.5 DNS Server on a Windows Active Directory environment.

The Windows server is a Server 2008 32 bit OS and also acts as the primary dns.

The Centos DNS server is on the network and can ping outside locations (like google) by domain or IP address. If I try to set up a client machine to use the Centos DNS it can ping the IP, but not the domain name.

I'm not 100% sure what information would be needed to help troubleshoot the problem so please let me know. I'm thinking I need to get the forward and reverse records from the Windows Server to the Centos, but I am not sure how to do that.

Thanks,

Just Joined!
    Had to take a break from this and come back. Unless I'm missing something I'm not seeing how to get the reverse lookup zone from Windows to the linux machine. Any suggestions?

I thought AD refused to work with outside directory services. That to get AD to play nice you setup your own LDAP server on the Linux side, then use scripts for AD to import LDAP changes.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by riderryuken View Post
    Had to take a break from this and come back. Unless I'm missing something I'm not seeing how to get the reverse lookup zone from Windows to the linux machine. Any suggestions?
    My honest suggestion is to just have another AD server. I'm sure there's some C# or "PowerShell" script you could run on your AD server periodically, but that wouldn't really be a topic to be broached by the Linux gurus, you need to find a MS guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    My honest suggestion is to just have another AD server. I'm sure there's some C# or "PowerShell" script you could run on your AD server periodically, but that wouldn't really be a topic to be broached by the Linux gurus, you need to find a MS guy.
    It's a messy topic because AD besides not working with outside directory services, it insists on having a Window DNS server so the network gets ugly.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Just Joined!
    Hmm I know we had a CentOS server as the backup before. Granted now when I turn it on it sounds like it's going to explode and I can't get into any of the folders. Back to the drawing board I guess.