Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I've been using Kubuntu on my machines for a while (14.04 now), and this is the one thing I've still been falling back onto Windows to let me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need a simple program for streaming a webcam to a remote browser

Hello all,

I've been using Kubuntu on my machines for a while (14.04 now), and this is the one thing I've still been falling back onto Windows to let me do. I like to keep a webcam running on my home desktop for my fiance and I to check in on our pets during the day. Yawcam is awesome for this, and does exactly what I'd like it to. Since I have now removed Windows from the last box in the home (yay!) I need to find a Linux solution.

I've tried VLC, but I must be getting something wrong or not understanding some part of the instructions, because it never seems to work. I can view the cam locally, but I must be missing some step to make the "stream- http" option work.

I've also tried to install Windows 7 in a virtualbox and run Yawcam that way. This would be totally fine as a solution, as I have the hardware specs to handle it. I can get the webcam to be viewable in the guest machine, and even "stream" it to a browser inside of the machine. But, even though it should be working, the stream never seems to make it outside to be viewable in a browser in the host machine or on my phone (outside the home network). I'm thinking it's some sort of firewall or issue with the NAT adapter for the machine?

Does anyone have a solid solution they can offer to me, in detail? It just needs to produce something viewable via internet explorer at my work.

Should also say, I'm still only six months into the linux thing- so admittedly I'll need step-by-step for anything complex.

Thanks guys!

Jon

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. How are you connected to the internet? Via a router-firewall? Or direct connection/modem?
    2. You are sure you have opened to the internet the streaming port you are using?
    3. You want to use bridged networking for your Win7 virtual machine, not NAT. However, I don't see why you can't simply use your Linux OS to stream from. You will need to use a static IP address and not a DHCP (dynamic) address for the server.

So, I am currently playing with VLC streaming over my home network. I was able to get it to stream from my usb video camera and view it in another vlc player over the network. I'll post again when I am able to view the stream from another system - still working on that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok, after some futzing around, I was able to get the stream displayed on a Windows 7 laptop with VLC using http streaming from my workstation/server (CentOS 6.5, VLC 2.1.4). Looks ok. Setting up the stream is the biggest PITA. Once you've done it, not so hard. I'm still trying to figure out how to save stream settings...

Anyway, these steps you will need to do in order to get to the stream from the Internet:

1. You will need a static IP address from your ISP to be assigned to the Internet side of your modem / router.
    2. You will need to assign a local static IP address to your server (see your router's configuration interface).
    3. You will need to poke a hole in your firewall connecting port 8080 through the firewall to port 8080 on your server. Port 8080 is the default that VLC uses for http streaming. You can choose another. It is also often used for web proxy servers and web cache servers.

I haven't tried yet to stream to multiple clients. It should be ok, but don't know for sure until I have a minute to try.

Just Joined!
    Hi Rubberman- thanks for the help.

I'm connected via router. I have no idea if i've opened up the port- I haven't done so manually, so if that needs to be done, I assume it hasn't been.

I succeeded with my Virtualbox/Windows solution by switching the network mode to bridged. Was able to view it through browser window on my phone, which was what I'd hoped for. If I could do this within Linux itself though, that'd be wonderful.

Can VLC stream to a browser window, or only another VLC player?

Most media players should work - it is just an mpeg4 video stream over http. I tried my Chrome browser but it was asking for an application to stream to. There may be browser plugins that can handle it. As for phone browsers, not sure. Easy enough to try. In any case, it's easy enough to get VLC for Windows 7. Here is a link: VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows

Linux User
    I didnt read all of the OP's post, but check this out anyway, should solve all your problems:

appear.in

You'll need a recent ver of Firefox obviously.