Find the answer to your Linux question:
....since my hosting provider gives me a TON of space, but much less for mySQL. which is obviously much slower too. soemthing as simple as a forum really shouldn't NEED ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Wanted: Forum software which DOESN't use MySQL

....since my hosting provider gives me a TON of space, but much less for mySQL. which is obviously much slower too.

soemthing as simple as a forum really shouldn't NEED mySQL, so.... tell me!

it should be good enough though.

oh yeah, and it should allow inline images to be posted.

Just a quick search away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...forum_software

MySQL slow what kind of transactions are you doing? We use the Percona version of MySQL it is faster out of the box. But over the years usually when people have slowness issues with databases it not the database it the database design and queries are the problem.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

Linux User
    ok, i'll check that link.

well, it's not going to be as fast as, say a Executable program doing raw data structs on disk, obviously..... ? (since it takes time to start MySQL as well as PHP, etc, etc.)

what exactly is "Percona"?

Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    ok, i'll check that link.

well, it's not going to be as fast as, say a Executable program doing raw data structs on disk, obviously..... ? (since it takes time to start MySQL as well as PHP, etc, etc.)

what exactly is "Percona"?
    Percona is one of the other MySQL versions like MariaDB.

MySQL Performance with Support, Remote DBA, and Consulting Services by Percona

MariaDB is the original MySQL developers.

https://mariadb.com/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've been struggling the past couple of weeks with MySQL in high-volume insert environments. I found that MySQL server 5.1 and later versions behave VERY differently. In my case, I read log records (generated at a rate of up to 1GB and 1M records an hour) and store each record in a single transaction. Where 5.1 could handle the load easily (2-3 minutes for 400,000-500,000 records), 5.5 and 5.6 took 20+ times longer! After some investigation, although 5.1 and later have the same default configurations for log flushes after a transaction commit, their behavior was totally different! Setting the flush on transaction commit to 0 for this particular situation, restored 5.6 to a performance level at least as good as 5.1.

So, go (con)figure (sic)! This was using the default innodb engine.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not too concerned with roll-forward or roll-back recovery for this data!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I've been struggling the past couple of weeks with MySQL in high-volume insert environments. I found that MySQL server 5.1 and later versions behave VERY differently. In my case, I read log records (generated at a rate of up to 1GB and 1M records an hour) and store each record in a single transaction. Where 5.1 could handle the load easily (2-3 minutes for 400,000-500,000 records), 5.5 and 5.6 took 20+ times longer! After some investigation, although 5.1 and later have the same default configurations for log flushes after a transaction commit, their behavior was totally different! Setting the flush on transaction commit to 0 for this particular situation, restored 5.6 to a performance level at least as good as 5.1.

So, go (con)figure (sic)! This was using the default innodb engine.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not too concerned with roll-forward or roll-back recovery for this data!
    Configuring/tuning MySQL is a Black Art, my last gig we had multiple servers with identical setup yet performance was drasticly different. One thing we noticed was production was constantly slower and from what we could tell was because it was because the database was never reloaded. The other servers were uploaded at least once a day from dumps. Figure the fresh indexes and holes gone from deleted records was the difference. Also MySQL was meant to be a large database it was designed to be a small web database and caught on and people started using it for bigger and bigger projects. Look at large sites and how they split data across multiple MySQL servers. From what I found the WhiteHouse.gov website data is spread across over 100 MySQL servers.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I generally agree with you doc! Most of my DB career was dealing with mongo-huge Oracle databases. MySQL always seems to be a bit of a toy, although it is very popular (cheap at twice the price)! That said, we have to deal with what people want and what works. The fact that I can store 1/2M records in < 5 minues in a free DB is not to be snorted at! I had to spend a couple of hours today figuring out how to get MySQL server 5.6 to perform at a level we could keep that input load going, 24x7. Tomorrow, we will be seriously load testing it with the configuration changes I determined. Yes, MySQL configuration is a "black art". It's a good thing I am a DB wizard!

Later, and take care.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux User
    OK guys sorry for the later reply, I took a look at that link. One thing I couldn't find was, the software I use must have a "my previous posts" feature - just like this site does, i.e. I can just click "my site" or whatever, and it'll show a "read your started threads" link, which will lead to everything I've posted, so that if I've asked a question, I don't have to go through the entire board to see if anyone has replied. This is a VERY important feature, without which the whole thing will pretty much be useless.

I was looking at Phorum and Simple Machines in particular - do they have this feature?
    Last edited by resetreset; 05-03-2014 at 06:46 PM.