Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been an Arch user for a few months, and there I installed about everything using pacman and yaourt, so I'm quite blocked now that, on gNewSense, I'm trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to install Audacity

Hi, I've been an Arch user for a few months, and there I installed about everything using pacman and yaourt, so I'm quite blocked now that, on gNewSense, I'm trying to install Audacity from a deb file.
    I've run this line:

Code:
    dpkg -i '/home/septinergic/Scarica/audacity-data_1.3.12-6_all.deb'
    And it doesn't report errors. I don't paste the rest since it's in italian, and so I don't think it could give a better image of what has happened to most of you.

Now I don't know how to go on. I don't know what other informations you need, this is the first time I install something through this way, so ask whatelse you want Thanks

Have you tried installing Octopi Package Manager and letting it try installing Audacity for you? I found that pamac was somewhat lacking in looks if nothing else so I've installed Octopi (sudo pacman -S octopi) and it's a lot nicer GUI and seems to find stuff a bit better. Just an idea, hope it helps.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Have you tried installing Octopi Package Manager and letting it try installing Audacity for you? I found that pamac was somewhat lacking in looks if nothing else so I've installed Octopi (sudo pacman -S octopi) and it's a lot nicer GUI and seems to find stuff a bit better. Just an idea, hope it helps.
    Sorry, probably I have not been clear enough. Actually I'm on gNewSense (a completly free linux distro), no more on Arch, so there's no pacman, and in the official repository of gNewSense there's no Audacity. So I'm trying to install it from a deb file, but I'm not succeding.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Septinergic View Post
    Sorry, probably I have not been clear enough. Actually I'm on gNewSense (a completly free linux distro), no more on Arch, so there's no pacman, and in the official repository of gNewSense there's no Audacity. So I'm trying to install it from a deb file, but I'm not succeding.
    Reading the Audacity download page you need to convince gNewSense to create an install package.

>>>>
    GNU/Linux

Installation packages for Audacity on GNU/Linux and other Unix-like systems are provided by individual distributions. The following distributions maintain regularly updated Audacity packages:
    <<<<<
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

You can't just use a .deb file with any ol' Distro. It has to be Debian or at least Ubuntu based to use a .deb. Sounds like gNewSense isn't Debian based so you'll not have any luck at all trying to install a .deb anymore then I would have trying to install it on my Manjaro system.
    Sometimes if you want certain software you have to move to a different Distro. I had to do that when I had zero luck trying to compile Gqrx in my Point Linux install(Debian based) so I moved to Kali Linux(still Debian based) that had Gqrx pre-installed. Now in Manjaro(Arch based) I can still have the Package Manager compile Gqrx for me so I can get my SDR on.
    If you're use to apt-get and want a good Debian based Distro to run then give Point Linux 2.3 a look then you'll be able to get Audacity.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Then there is the "install from source" option. If Arch's repositories and package manager don't have Audacity, it is easy enough to download, configure, and build/install on most any Linux system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies to everyone!
    I've solved since a few days ago I've tried Musix GNU+Linux, and it is full of softwares I need. Between these ones there's Audacity