Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by elija Well I just found this blog post from a developer who used to work for Opera and it seems their attitude is "**** Linux" and here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Well I just found this blog post from a developer who used to work for Opera and it seems their attitude is "**** Linux" and here I am paraphrasing so I guess that means Opera is basically rubbish also. More searching has led to this apha state project which isn't complete enough for me yet; I will be keeping an eye on it though.
    I'm not recommending this browser (I never use it) but I saw this float past on /. today, and it seems to contradict what you said back in May...

Opera 24 for Linux released on the Developer stream - Opera Desktop - Opera Software

Could it be that the Opera guys were not interested in Linux for their old browser because they were regenerating it (just like Dr Who) using Chromium?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    If I want to use Chrome/Chromium I will, I don't need an Opera clone...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I'm not recommending this browser (I never use it) but I saw this float past on /. today, and it seems to contradict what you said back in May...

Opera 24 for Linux released on the Developer stream - Opera Desktop - Opera Software

Could it be that the Opera guys were not interested in Linux for their old browser because they were regenerating it (just like Dr Who) using Chromium?
    I used to run a Opera PPA in my Debian /etc/apt/sources.list years ago. Then later I used a employee of Opera I know who I met on line method of installing.

https://gist.github.com/ruario/99522c94838d0680633c

His old blog has been shutdown where I used to borrow the install instructions. That blog was at Opera's site so Not sure on why his blog was closed there.
    Any hows. I mentioned this to some package maintainers I know also who were going to package Up Opera 24 for their Linux Distro.

'Twas worth a try, but no dice.
    When invoked, the binary issues an error that it can't find libc6 2.14 and then another that it can't find libc6 2.15.
    Bummer---maybe later development though will give us something we can use.
    So it looks like it is going to be hit and miss for some at using the install instructions I posted above depending on the libs available in your distro.
    Looks like newest Ubuntu and Arch Linux have the required libs needed. But if you wish to give it a try. Instructions are above.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    What I paraphrased back in May... but in the years it has taken Opera to release eleven new major versions for Windows while ignoring Linux completely you can see that the statement stood for a long time; so long in fact that it's not surprising there has been a bit of a culture change in the company. I gave it a quick try and it does run on Xubuntu but I see nothing to tempt me away from Pale Moon which is faster and lighter. Also there doesn't appear to be any way to make the window decorations match your theme; that may not be important to everyone, it kind of is to me. Having one application that stands out like a sore thumb grates with me. I might keep an eye on it but to me Opera seems to have lost it's USP and become just another clone of a browser I have never really liked.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Thank you, Elija. I've just installed a Pale Moon binary on Crux (it's against the spirit of Crux to use precompiled software but I wanted to try it out quickly and it's getting well nigh impossible to build Firefox). It looks lovely - Firefox as it used to be. The only criticism I have is that pages seem to load more slowly than in Firefox itself.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Don't thank me, thank roky as he found it. I do admit to becoming quite an advocate for it though!

I have had the opposite with regard to page loading. Pale Moon is much faster. Maybe it's because I only used pre-built Firefox binaries. You can grab the source code from the pale moon website but as it is originally a Windows project, I don't know how much work is needed to build it on Linux. Maybe the PM4Linux site has their source code somewhere.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    Maybe the PM4Linux site has their source code somewhere.
    I'll start by pointing the way
    compiling pale moon on linux - Pastebin.com

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon

May the source be with you.

https://github.com/MoonchildProducti...24.6.2_Release

Nice. Now I can stop poking around and watch M*A*S*H*

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Nice. Now I can stop poking around and watch M*A*S*H*
    Is there a *M*A*S*H episode focusing on Linux? I want to see that one, then.
    Do you have more info about that *M*A*S*H episode?

*eager awaits happy *M*A*S*H episode info*

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3