Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
With every release, Firefox gets worse. Version 29 is it for me as I now have use plug-ins to restore basic interface elements thus making it even more bloated than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Looking for good replacement for Firefox.

With every release, Firefox gets worse. Version 29 is it for me as I now have use plug-ins to restore basic interface elements thus making it even more bloated than it's default state. Given that Firefox was supposed to be a lightweight and completely bloat free answer to the Netscape suite, I wonder if the Firefox developers realise how badly they have failed.

I have been looking for an alternative and so far:

• Midori:
      • User styles don't work
      • The per site JavaScript blocker is so awful that I think it has been sponsored by ad companies so that you don;t want to use it to block their broken and generally crappy scripts!

• Seamonkey:
      • 32 bit only; or at least I haven't been able to find a 64 bit version and frankly I can't be bothered compiling it.

• Konqueror:
      • No per site script blocking.
      • No per site user styles.
      • Somehow feels primitive and yes I know that's purely subjective.

• Chome / Chromium
      • Try as I might, I cannot get on with these browsers.
      • Vague worries about Google's involvement.

• Opera:
      • Closed source; but becoming open source friendly.

After all that I am using Opera for the moment as it is the closest to what I want from a browser. Only one of my following requirements isn't met.

Can anyone recommend a browser that:
    • Doesn't require plug-ins to restore a basic and sane interface.
    • Has ad-blocking either in-built or as a plug-in.
    • Has per-site JavaScript blocking that is as slick as the No Script plug-in for Firefox.
    • Has per-site user scripts and styles; which can be built-in or plug-in.
    • Is not gaining bloat and breaking the interface with every release.
    • Is open source.
    • Doesn't make me worry about Google's involvement.

That's not a big requirements list. Is it?
    Last edited by elija; 05-11-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you find the answer to this, let me know! I was using chrome (I am running a clone of RHEL 6.x), but they stopped supporting that so I am using Firefox 24.5 now. It seems to be a bit less memory-intensive than Chrome, but Chrome has a lot of stuff I really like. Yeah, Google is really irritating, and they just leave one in the lurch when they decide that they don't want to spend any more resources on some cruft that you have become dependent upon. VERY irritating!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Well I just found this blog post from a developer who used to work for Opera and it seems their attitude is "**** Linux" and here I am paraphrasing so I guess that means Opera is basically rubbish also. More searching has led to this apha state project which isn't complete enough for me yet; I will be keeping an eye on it though.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I took a glance at wikipedia to see what they listed for web engines and discovered this: NetSurf Web Browser

It's been around for a while. Having their own browser engine must make it a challenge. Apparently they are working on HTML5.0 and CSS3 but they aren't there yet. They've also just started adding javascript.

Just Joined!
    This is worth looking at, Qupzilla, QupZilla - Lightweight multiplatform browser

A few good suggestions there; unfortunately, none of them are feature complete (for my needs) at the moment. I have bookmarked all of them for future testing. In the mean time, I have had a fundamental lesson in what truth really is. Yesterday I would quite happily stood up in court and swore under oath that Seamonkey wasn't in the Fedora repositories.

On the spur of the moment, I checked in my history, looking for my search for seamonkey. There wasn't one which was a surprise . So having actually ran a search, seamonkey was indeed there and 64bit! I'm running quite happliy now with the Adblock Edge, No Script and Stylish extensions. I have even found an extension called Seatab-X that puts the close button into the tab ala Firefox!

@rubberman: Try Seamonkey as a Firefox alternative!

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    Another version of Firefox

Pale Moon for Linux | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Another version of Chrome/Chromium

Best Web Browser for Mac, Linux and Windows. Fastest Cross-platform Internet Browser.

Some QT stuff

Otter Browser Qt-Apps.org

QtWeb - Portable Web Browser

I run Qupzilla in MX-14. Dillo and I are old friends but certain java heavy net sites are *****y about Dillo.
    I run Seamonkey bz2 in my Motorcycle Shop wireless Desktop OK on single core P4 and 1 gig of ram.

This site and certain others has hissy fits with me using Chromium sometimes. But I use it also on my netbooks.

I think I covered the ones not mentioned. As far as answering you questions on what they are capable of. I have ran them all but just for a short while so I did not get in depth on what I am showing.

Facepalm to self, http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
    elija likes this.

I'm in same boat and like you, except Firefox will still be my main browser I just need a second for a project. I would like to stay away from Chrome, but have tried Chromium and Chome (Chromium had Java issues). Never been a Opera fan never liked it's interface. So looking to try some of the browsers mentioned here.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

I think we have a winner. And Roky does it again. Pale Moon is incredibly fast; it even makes Seamonkey look slow and I think it's what Firefox would be if the developers focused on the original goals for the project. Don't use the Pale Moon installer shell script it's simple enough to install manually.

For all users (as root)
    Extract the archive to /opt
    Copy the /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop to /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop *
    Edit palemoon.desktop and replace all occurences of firefox with palemoon
    Job done!

For a single user (not as root) - this method is my preferred one for downloaded software
    Extract the archive to ~/bin
    Copy the /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop to ~/local/share/applications/palemoon.desktop *
    Edit palemoon.desktop and replace all occurences of firefox with palemoon
    Job done!

* If you don't have Firefox installed then pick another desktop file to copy. The principle is the same but there will be more changes to make. One gotcha is that the Category isn't "Internet;" it's "Network;WebBrowser;" even if the menu shows the category as "Internet" or at least this is true in Fedora!

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    For Grins I installed Pale Moon into SlackO 5.7 Puppy Linux .exe I run inside of Windows 7 Compaq Cq 57 laptop with 4 primary
    Windows and Compaq Partitions.

I downloaded the Pale Moon for Linux - Browse /24.4.0 at SourceForge.net
    ,for i386, since SlackO 5.7 .exe inside of 64bit Windows is i386.

I extracted the bz2 into root in Puppy SlackO. Opened the folder and dragged and dropped the bin to the Desktop.
    Right clicked the Pale Moon gear bin file and set icon from the icon folder in the extracted file in root for pale moon.

Left click and was off to the races. Everything needed for Pale Moon to run is inside the bz2 to run in Puppy Linux SlackO 5.7.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast