Find the answer to your Linux question:
1) Let me send emails to everyone who's signed up on the site 2) If I install a forum as part of the site, it will authenticate from the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

I'm looking for a CMS which will do these things

1) Let me send emails to everyone who's signed up on the site
    2) If I install a forum as part of the site, it will authenticate from the same place as the forum, i.e. the usernames and passwords will (obviously need to be) the same for the CMS as well as the forums.
    3) It should let me do the whole site in multiple languages, eg. Spanish or French etc. If the same article or whatever is available in that lang, it'll show it, if not, it'll just show the English version.
    3) The URLs must be search engine friendly.
    4) Must be easy to migrate the data for the site from one server to another. I do know a little of my way around MySQL adminning, but I'd rather not fiddle with it if I don't have to.
    5) It must let the admin test the browser version on the home page, and if the browser version is lesser than required, print a "You need to upgrade message", and then show either fallback content if it's there, or stop.
    6) Must have chat rooms, or the ability to put up free chat software (eg. some PHP chat software) within the site.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks so much.

Linux Engineer
    If you don't want to do any coding, Joomla might be the way to go.

Linux User
    long time back, there used to be a site which had MANY CMSs on the site, live and ready to br tried out, for a limited period of time. does anyone remember it's URL if it's still there?

oh, and still waiting for more replies to my question

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Wordpress with the appropriate plugins will do:

1. Yes as a plug in
    2. Yes as a plug in
    3. Yes as a plug in
    3. (again) Yes; with a plug in, you can do full seo optimisation and automated proof-reading with readability scoring and suggestions; waay cool
    4. As long as you can back up a directory structure and database; and then restore them.
    5. If there isn't a plug-in for that you can write your own easily enough.
    6. If there isn't a plug-in for that you can write your own but probably not as easily as 5!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    One VERY important thing I forgot to mention is that it must have "wiki" type of functionality, i.e. if there's a section called "Articles", users must be able to submit their own articles (maybe they'll be actually published after I've validated them to see they're not spam etc etc.). What I'd really like is to be able to set topics eg. "Food", "Clothing" etc. and users will then be able to publish under any they see fit. Is this possible with either Wordpress or Joomla?

Linux User
    By the way, what's a forum software where I can get WYSIWYG editing, where if I italicise something, it WON'T get [/i] type of crap around the word, but actually SHOW it in italics?

Thanks.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    One VERY important thing I forgot to mention is that it must have "wiki" type of functionality, i.e. if there's a section called "Articles", users must be able to submit their own articles (maybe they'll be actually published after I've validated them to see they're not spam etc etc.). What I'd really like is to be able to set topics eg. "Food", "Clothing" etc. and users will then be able to publish under any they see fit. Is this possible with either Wordpress or Joomla?
    In Wordpress, set them up with author permission then they'll be able to submit articles but not publish them.

Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    By the way, what's a forum software where I can get WYSIWYG editing, where if I italicise something, it WON'T get [/i] type of crap around the word, but actually SHOW it in italics?

Thanks.
    There are many forum plug-ins for Wordpress, I can't remember off hand if they use the Wordpress built in editor or not
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent