Find the answer to your Linux question:
MY son's wife just got him a new Ipod and he no longer has a Windows computer. About a month ago his hard drive had problems and I set him ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Control Ipod with linux

MY son's wife just got him a new Ipod and he no longer has a Windows computer. About a month ago his hard drive had problems and I set him up running Linux, MX-14 specifically.

He connected his Ipod and of course sees it but can't send music to it. Is there an easy fix or do I have to fight the reinstall & update Windows battle. My son is not a techie at all...

Linux Engineer

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, I saw that on Google myself but I wondered if anyone had personal success...

Linux Engineer
    I use a different device which mounts and is usable just like any storage device. I'm a little surprised that an ipod doesn't auto mount.

Linux Newbie
    I detest anything Apple as they force you to jump thru hoops. I asked my son if it would offend his wife if he returned it and got something a little less troublesome - and he just gave me a sorrowful stare...

Might want to consider running Windows in a VM, the iTunes app besides transfering files, it also backups up the system and data, and is only way to get and apply iPod updates.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

I had an iPod Classic 120GB until recently and I almost always used GTKPod to manage it. The only problems I ever had were when I tried to really fill the disk, it used to trip up by not fully removing everything until it had almost everything loaded (metadata, thumbnails etc).