Find the answer to your Linux question:
Now that Google has removed third party plugins through its release of its current browser, Icetea plugin doesn't work and users will need to install JRE from java own website ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Java plugin on Chrome

Now that Google has removed third party plugins through its release of its current browser, Icetea plugin doesn't work and users will need to install JRE from java own website in order to enable the plugin. I have openjdk-jre installed but will it be removed if I decided to download from Oracle's website? I want to still use the open source version but I'm unable to use the plugin.

I have openjdk-jre installed but will it be removed if I decided to download from Oracle's website
    It shouldn't uninstall since it came from Debian repositories. You just might have to toggle plugins being used in addons is all I can figure.

You can always check with

Code:
    java -version
    in terminal for open-jdk install I guess.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I guess I have no choice if I still want to use Chrome since Icetea is now deprecated and licensing issues cause sun-java-plugin to be removed from Wheezy. What a double whammy. If I install the JRE from Oracle, will I need to download the tar.gz package and install it again for any updates?

If I have two JRE installed then there must be a priority assign to them, I don't like the idea of having two since there's no purpose to have more than one. If the plugin works, I will most likely remove openjdk.

will I need to download the tar.gz package and install it again for any updates?
    Yes, unless you go with

How To Install Oracle Java 8 In Debian Via Repository [JDK8] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

Usually, the packages available in Launchpad PPAs don't support Debian because they are built against specific Ubuntu libraries, but since the WebUpd8 Oracle Java PPA contains just an installer, it works on Debian too.
    And that's it, Oracle Java 8 should now be installed and you should get automatic updates for future Oracle Java 8 versions, under Debian.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I previously use their repository on downloading the installer for Java 7, but Chrome doesn't detect the plugin (not sure of it installs one) and I replace it with openjdk.

So now I'm trying to install from their website, downloaded it my home directory and copied to /use/local/bin. Used command tar zxfv <filename>, created "java1.7.0<version>". Created a plugins folder in /opt/Google/chrome/ and create symbolic link to path libnpjp2.so. It's present in plugin folder but Chrome still doesn't have the plugin

There are a few mistakes I've made, I installed on the home directory instead of the designated path so I deleted the .java folder and file version. Also ive made a typo while creating the symlink so I unlink it and create a new one by removing the current libnpjp2 and do the ln -s command.

Just Joined!
    There's an article stating that Chrome have ditched Linux users by not fixing a bug that claimed Java won't run in their browser starting Chrome 35. So basically I have to downgrade in order to receive Java functionality.

Google's Approach with the Linux Platform

Oh well, back to Iceweasel for me.
    Last edited by G-Known; 06-15-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Just Joined!
    Just checking to make sure that I've completely removed Java from my computer, I deleted the plugin folder and java version file in /usr/local/bin directory where it's initially installed. I'm still wondering if me deleting the .java folder will cause any consequences because I'm not sure if it's formed by the installation from java package or it's there for the purpose at a system level.
    Last edited by G-Known; 06-15-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Known View Post
    There's an article stating that Chrome have ditched Linux users by not fixing a bug that claimed Java won't run in their browser starting Chrome 35. So basically I have to downgrade in order to receive Java functionality.

Google's Approach with the Linux Platform

Oh well, back to Iceweasel for me.
    Actually this will happen to OSX and windows users too by the end of this year.
    So Chrome will become a crippled mess by the time this is done.
    The only thing its good for is flash really.