Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone!! First, I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong area... I figured it could go either under servers or here. If not, I apologize. I feel I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NTPD Logging Location/Permission Errors

Hello Everyone!!

First, I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong area... I figured it could go either under servers or here. If not, I apologize.

I feel I should really know this but I'm having some issues here...

I've recently enabled statistics & additional logging of peerstats, loopstats, clockstats, sysstats etc...

I've had initially pushed the below options out via puppet to my servers. I have now changed the log directory from /var/log/ntp to what you see below:

Code:
    statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats sysstats
    statsdir /logs/ntp
    filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
    filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
    filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
    filegen sysstats file sysstats type day enable
    At first it was saying it Permission denied to /var/log/ntppeerstats.20140728

However, now it's saying the same thing to /logs/ntppeerstats.20140728

I've already come to the conclusion I'm going to need to use Puppet to create the /logs/ntp directory owned by user:group ntp:ntp (on centos so it's ntp not ntpd)

However, why did it change it's logging to /logs/ntppeerstats.20140728 instead of to /logs/ntp/peerstats.20140728? And why did it do the same to /var/log??

Thanks in advance!!

Just Joined!
    Actually, I've solved this.

I was stupid & didn't have the trailing slash on the directory. Didn't think it was needed, because I thought it was already on it when it was /var/log/ntp & it had been doing the same thing.

Marking this as solved... Solution: Add trailing slash to directory you want logs.