Find the answer to your Linux question:
If I have a field with "The cat jumps over the rat" in it, and I want to type "cat" in a website form (which uses that database), and get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

How to search *within* a MySQL field?

If I have a field with "The cat jumps over the rat" in it, and I want to type "cat" in a website form (which uses that database), and get that field, what do I do?
    I don't want to use LIKE.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    You can use the like statement with wildcards.

Select field from table where field like '%cat%';

This will be pretty slow, but is the simplest way to do it.
    If you need this to be faster (ie, you're searching thousands or millions of rows of data), you should consider implementing a full-text search function. MySQL offers a primative index for this purpose, or you can use an external engine such as lucene or sphinx.

Linux User
    The only different option I see is to create a second table containing a list of words and where they are used ...

Would be faster to search, but adding a new text will take it's time since you need to add several entry's into an indexed second table

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by zombykillah View Post
    The only different option I see is to create a second table containing a list of words and where they are used ...

Would be faster to search, but adding a new text will take it's time since you need to add several entry's into an indexed second table
    No need to create a list, as mizzle points out MySQL already maintains an index and it can be searched.

i.e.
    Code:
    select * from <tablename> WHERE MATCH(<field>) AGAINST (<word>);
    MySQL :: MySQL 5.6 Reference Manual :: 12.9 Full-Text Search Functions

Linux User
    just found that function ... didn't know mysql had an fulltext index.

Linux User
    ummm just out of curiosity, is there any way to get MySQL/MariaDB to do fuzzy searching on some text? ie. if I type in "act" above, instead of "cat"?