Find the answer to your Linux question:
After installing MultiBootUSB the other day I saw it had QEMU, (QuickEMUlator) and tried to use it but it's buggy as all get out. I thought that maybe if I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is there an easy Virtual Machine I can use??

After installing MultiBootUSB the other day I saw it had QEMU, (QuickEMUlator) and tried to use it but it's buggy as all get out. I thought that maybe if I tried it on it's own it would work but I have no clue as to how to use it so I can't get it to work. Then I figure I'd try good ol' Oracle Virtual Box but I can't get it to work either. I watched a YouTube vid and the VB that he's using looks totally different then the one I downloaded, no place to select a CD/DVD or .iso to make the VM with.
    Is there some kind of very simple VM that I can download and mess with so I can check out .iso's that I download without having to burn them to DVD or put them on a USB stick?
    I'd like something where I just set the RAM, set the Hard Drive size and processor then point at the .iso and I'm able to start a VM running without all the fuss and muss. So, does such a thing exists or do I need to try and figure out Virtual Box?

P.S.
    Ok, found one named Xen 4.3.2-3 downloading it as I type, man it's a long file. Anyway, hope it works.
    Update, got it all downloaded and nothing, no icon, tried to open it in Terminal, nope, nothing.
    Downloading Xen 4.4.0-6 right now(man, it takes a long time) to see if it'll work any better.

Well screw it, the newer version of Xen doesn't show up anywhere either.
    Someone has got to know of an easy VM that I can use to play around with .iso's with.
    Last edited by TNFrank; 08-15-2014 at 11:35 PM.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Newbie
    try libvirt and virt manager should work with qemu

I'm not sure where you got VirtualBox from, but if it was from anybody's repos it's almost always either out of date or they've tinkered with it to make it "better" and fouled it up in the process. I always get it from source and never have any issues with it. But sometimes it does not run OOB. On ubuntu there are some tweaks that have to be made. For instance: I have to create and add myself to the group vboxusers in the host machine to make everything work. And you can set up a machine with no harddrive and boot live CDs from it. I have one.

And to select a live CD you have to go in to settings / storage / controller IDE / empty to access drop down menus and attach an ISO to the CD drive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    on solydx home edition you can add virtual box from the repository and use it without issue, for live cd, as mentioned you go to settings/ empty/drop menu

add: Wow, I see what you mean, attempting to run ubuntu in virtual box on manjaro or anything else in the box is not worth any effort. strike
    Last edited by ohmy; 08-16-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    I'm not sure where you got VirtualBox from, but if it was from anybody's repos it's almost always either out of date or they've tinkered with it to make it "better" and fouled it up in the process. I always get it from source and never have any issues with it.
    Downloaded it from the AUR, really doubt that it was out of date or messed with at that Repo. I just don't know why it looked different, maybe it's a Linux/Windows thing since he was running it on Windows and I have GNOME 3 and Linux.

VirtualBox is drop dead simple especially compared to the others available freely. My last job we used it on Linux boxes, Windows boxes, as host and did most our test builds including clusters on VirtualBox. Even moved VM from one host to another. I'm not a Oracle fan, but at least to this point they haven't mucked VirtualBox up. The only think with Linux when you're kernel updates you need to up VirtualBox support and that takes like two minutes. I'd give it another shot.
    A lion does not lose sleep, over the opinion of sheep.

I downloaded every think I could in Octopi within reason and I have gotten it to kind of work. I made a VM of Zorin9 but I can't get my mouse pointer back, nope the right control button doesn't give me it back either so once I'm in the VM I'm stuck and can't do anything on my "real" desktop anymore.
    I'm starting to think that it's just easier to use UNetbootin to make a live USB to check out stuff rather then mess with a VM. Unless someone wants to come to the house and sit down with me and walk me through all of this I really don't see me getting it done via the interweb.

Linux Newbie
    Got back to Manjaro and virtualbox and realized that the reason it was not working is because the pae error was hidden behind the pop up for keyboard and mouse added..the default is non pae but was changeable in the settings...so ubuntu does load in vitrualbox on manjaro but is painfully slow on 1.5 gig ram live..perhaps an install would be better. anyway just to clear my error. have had good success with several other lighter distros. this is xfce.

I agree that using unetbootin to make a live drive is the easiest way to go. It's quick and easy, and if you use a flash drive you can easily reuse the drive for different distros. I've never bothered with a VM, never seen the need. But that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I agree that using unetbootin to make a live drive is the easiest way to go. It's quick and easy, and if you use a flash drive you can easily reuse the drive for different distros. I've never bothered with a VM, never seen the need. But that's just me...
    MultiBootUSB works great as long as you stay away from anything Arch based. I've got a 16GB USB stick set up with Point Linux 2.3, ZorinOS 9 Educational and Kali Linux 1.0.9, both 32 and 64 bit and it works like a charm. Couldn't get Manjaro or Antergos to boot from MultiBootUSB though.