Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Non English langs in terminal (MySQL)

If I'm using the MySQL client in a terminal inside the GUI, and the database has non-English characters in it, will it show them? Do I have to configure anything?
    I *assume* that it won't be shown correctly in a textual terminal...?

Thanks.

If your database is configured to use UTF-8, then all the text-based data should be Unicode, and therefore safe. It's only the output you're concerned about, yes?

If you're using the terminal that comes with KDE or Gnome, then you should be fine - these, I believe, handle Unicode normally. I'm not sure about 'good old' xterm. But if you have some non-Latin characters in your database, are you experiencing any problems showing them? If you're not having this problem but are concerned about this in case someone adds some characters to your data that's outside normal ASCII range, then why don't you do a quick test? You can create a database and add 'funny' text to it and see what it looks like in the console. That should reassure you that it is all fine.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Umm... I didn't try any test in the 1st place cause I don't know how to enter stuff into the DB from the keyboard - do you get an on screen virtual keyboard or something, for non-Eng langs?

Are you sure it's only a question of Unicode? Yes, what I'm talking about WILL require non Latin chars.

Thanks for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    Umm... I didn't try any test in the 1st place cause I don't know how to enter stuff into the DB from the keyboard - do you get an on screen virtual keyboard or something, for non-Eng langs?

Are you sure it's only a question of Unicode? Yes, what I'm talking about WILL require non Latin chars.

Thanks for your help.
    There is a character map tool somewhere that will let you cut-and-paste non latin characters - a bit like the one we used to see in WinXP. Unfortunately it moves about a bit and is in different places on different DE's, so I can't tell you where it will appear for you. It's in the menus somewhere though.

To set up a test database, you can probably do that with myPhpAdmin, which takes all the drudge out of having to use command line SQL. You can then use the terminal just to test what happens when non-latin characters appear in your database.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/