Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Iceweasel chokes on itunes 'itmss' instead of 'htmls' in pathname

Hello, I've yet to see this, but it may be because I'm trying to access iTunes and I think it's a dirty word around here... I have a chance to get the new U2 album that Apple has paid them for, but when I click on the link I receive an "The address wasn't understood" error message pointing to the itmss where the https usually is.

I know this is corrected by telling the browser what to do with this entry. However I can't find anyone who can tell me what I need to enter into my browser to correct this. The closest I've found was to modify the 'about:config' entry for itmss to one that directs it to the proper program, which I have no idea what handles this.

Thanks... just for music!

Jack

Just Joined!
    If I understand you correctly, you're downloading or permit access to an album with iTunes but the browser itself can't handle the proper program to serve it?

Linux Guru
    post a link?
    i tried a random one, but it just complains that i need to install itunes first.

searching the arch user repository for itunes, i get quite a few results. maybe something of help in there?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, when I click on the link, it changesthe "html" to "itmss" and the browser does not know how to handle that 'type'. The error it returns is:

Code:
    The address wasn't understood

Iceweasel doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (itmss) isn't associated with any program.
    This is in the address bar: "itmss://www.google.com", this is an example as it really has an apple.something address, not Google. But the error is the same. It appears from my research that you can go into the about:config and change this, however you have to know what program to associate the 'itmss'. I can never find the program that it is supposed to use. I think that's the basic problem. I understand when you load iTunes on your Windows computer, it adds this to your browser to be able to handle this, since I have no Windows, and no iTunes, I don't have any idea of what program I'm supposed to associate.

As the error message states, the protocol (itmss) isn't associated with any program. That's exactly the problem, what program do I associate it?

Thanks guys... I was wondering if I was going to get any bites on this problem...

I might try and look on someones computer that does have iTunes and see what's there...

Jack

Linux Guru
    yes but where is the link?

This is the link:

Code:
    itmss://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewFeature?cc=us&id=916841188&enlh=1.500073.500072.500057.1.&ls=1&ign-mscache=1

It gets the same error as would anything if the browser doesn't understand 'itmss'.

Jack

Linux Guru
    obviously i, too, am getting this error.

i'm sorry, i should have been more precise.

in order to help you troubleshoot the problem, can you provide us with a link to the site where you got that link?

It came in an e-mail, from Apple in reference to the U2 album. It would be nice if you could explain why you wish to look at an Apple e-mail, unfortunately when I try to past it in, it loses all of it's links.

Maybe if you can be more precise as to what you need... It seems that it needs to know how to handle (or associate a program) to the itmss tag. I don't have any idea of the program to associate it.

Seems like any link to Apples iTunes site have this type of link..

Jack

Linux Guru
    this is the first time you mention that you got this link through an email - i was assuming it was from some web page.

in that case, no, the link won't help me to troubleshoot your problem. nevermind.

all i can say is: you have to find a (linux? wine?) program that can handle itmss addresses. kinda stating the obvious here.

-->
    I did find an answer, but it wasn't complete. It stated that you just need to go into the "about:config" in the browser and change where it states that 'itmss' uses a certain program. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea of what program to tell it to use when it encounters 'itmss'. I might have to breakdown and look in a Windows machine with iTunes to get some kind of answer.

It seems pretty dumb to do this as anyone without iTunes will be hosed. Although it kind of sounds like something Windows might do...

Thanks for looking...

Jack