Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Questions from a windows user before turning to Linux

Questions from a windows user before turning to Linux:

I've installed and tried many distros; not in depth though; But here are my questions right away just to save your time.

I'm thinking of turning completely to Linux, I need good reasons.

I need free alternatives for:

1- Internet download manager. Preferably one that opens up a pop-up bar to download videos when captured. or at least download aggregators ( I don't know if this is the expression but programs that stabilizes/quickens downloads in general even if it can't "capture" the video links )

2- Goldwave or a cool sound recorder software.

3- Any Video Converter/Format Factory.

4- Daemon Tools.

5- ZoneAlarm (Or other free alternatives, same degree of ease of use).

6- CCleaner or the like.

7- WinRaR.

If you have any comments or explanations, Please feel free to explain to me If there’s something I don’t understand about the mentality of Linux; the system itself.

Install Firefox; go to Add-Ons and use DownThemAll

Linux Alternative Project

BleachBit is comparable to ccleaner
    p7zip-rar may be installed

Also, see this, please.

Thanks for the links, reading them now

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero86 View Post

1- Internet download manager. Preferably one that opens up a pop-up bar to download videos when captured. or at least download aggregators ( I don't know if this is the expression but programs that stabilizes/quickens downloads in general even if it can't "capture" the video links )
    *You can install Flash and Video 1.63 as an Add-On to Firefox and download videos from places like YouTube.*

2- Goldwave or a cool sound recorder software. *Audacity is an awesome audio recording program.*

3- Any Video Converter/Format Factory. *OpenShot will let you convert and edit your videos.*

4- Daemon Tools.* No Earthly Idea.*

5- ZoneAlarm (Or other free alternatives, same degree of ease of use). *Not really needed with Linux. You can use ClamTK to scan for viruses though if you feel like you must.*

6- CCleaner or the like.* Also, not really needed with Linux.*

7- WinRaR. *No Idea what this is.*

If you have any comments or explanations, Please feel free to explain to me If thereís something I donít understand about the mentality of Linux; the system itself.
    Linux is Free to download and use and has a ton of free tools to use. You just need to look around to find what'll work for you. So far there's really been nothing that I've not been able to do with my Linux installs that I want to do.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

What exaclty is "Daemon Tools"?

Just Joined!
    For Goldwave, check out Audacity. There's a Windows version, so you can try it out before you even make the jump to Linux. Most Linux distros will come with an archive utility like WinRAR. For example, I use Kubuntu, which comes with Ark. For most things, Ark has been great. However, I was having a hard time creating a password-protected RAR file at one point, so I installed another one named PeaZip, which is quite good. PeaZip was not in the repositories (at least not the ones provided in Kubuntu), but I was able to download and install it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    WinRar runs fine under Wine on Linux. I use it all the time, including to create RAR archives.
    For Zonealarm, there is iptables and SELinux. Both provide firewall and other security capabilities such as access control lists, etc.
    Video converter/reformatter, use ffmpeg. It will easily convert any video/audio format into any other.
    CCleaner, you probably don't need a replacement for that. Linux is pretty good at not keeping stale files around.
    For a sound recorder, the suggestion about audacity is a good one, and is used by professionals.
    As for a "internet download manager", not sure what you are getting at. Myself, I subscribe to a premium usenet service and download what I want, when I want. Your browser (firefox or chrome) can download youtube videos and such. Subscribed services (such as netflix) are another matter, and may be encrypted.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

-->
    For "internet download manager", I think he means like, if you buy an album full of MP3s on some music site, it'll get each of the individual files one after another.