Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question about gdebi, transmission and unzip

Where does gdebi put the file after it is opened and where is it after gdebi extracts it, same question for .gz after it is unzipped where does the file go and same with transmission. also
    After the .deb file is opened does it lose the .deb after the end of the file name and again same with .gz . After the torrent file is opened is it named the same without the .torrent at the end of it.
    Is their a way to find these files after opening and extracting and unzipping with the use of a program. My terminal isn't finding the opened gdebi files or the unzipped .gz file

Linux Guru
    these 3 applications don't have much in common.
    gdebi is a local package installer, so it installs to where-ever apt installs. the .deb file should remain where it is.
    .gz files are extracted in the current folder by default.
    transmission puts .torrent files in ~/.config/transmission, but the actual data is stored where-ever you tell it to store it. by default in ~/Downloads.

you can find files with find, e.g.
    Code:
    find $HOME -name *.torrent

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    these 3 applications don't have much in common.
    gdebi is a local package installer, so it installs to where-ever apt installs. the .deb file should remain where it is.
    .gz files are extracted in the current folder by default.
    transmission puts .torrent files in ~/.config/transmission, but the actual data is stored where-ever you tell it to store it. by default in ~/Downloads.

you can find files with find, e.g.
    Code:
    find $HOME -name 

*.torrent
    This is for a .gz file .In terminal I type and get----
    jon@jon-System-Product-Name ~/Downloads $ gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz
    gzip: linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? y

Then I type this and get "find linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz (or without the GZ)
    find: `linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz': No such file or directory"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What do you get from ls?

-->
    It's fixed I I had to pull every thing i ever downloaded from every file then start over. It worked THANKS!