Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do I install a DOS environment using QEMU?

...can anyone guide me?

Thanks.

On what operating system ? You can use dosbox on most linux systems adosbox on android devices
    (--NEEDINFO--)

using tapatalk on on my tablet

ummm....on fedora 20...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Myself, I use a virtual machine tool like VirtualBox to run MS-DOS or FreeDOS images when needed. You really don't need a full-fledged emulator like QEMU. That is good when you need to run ARM software on your x86 computer.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

OK, 1st question - where did you get these "images"? Have they been made freeware?

I'm still a little confused as to what QEMU *is* - can you enlighten me? If I *DO* want to use it to get a DOS prompt, what do I do?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FreeDOS, which is an open source version of MS/PC DOS is available on the web: FreeDOS | The FreeDOS Project
    For MS-DOS, you'll have to find an ISO image for that, or an old install floppy disc that you can create an ISO image from. If you use these search terms you will find a lot of MS DOS download sites: MS DOS download

OK, so what's QEMU exactly?

QEMU is a system emulator. It can host emulators for many CPU architectures such as ARM or Sparc chips, allowing software for those architectures to run, such as an Android cellphone stack on ARM hardware.

what exactly do you mean by "host emulators"?

....so if I DID want to run DOS on it, it can, yes...? a bit overkill maybe, but still, it would actually work....?

-->
    Yes you could, I suppose. I have only used it in the ARM emulation case, and not for some time. RTFM for more information. And do a Google search on "emulators".