Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Howto create new submenu by script

Hi,

I want to create a new submenu in the desktop menu tree by shell commands. NOT by clicking menu editor.
    I tried creating .desktop files and placing they in ~/.local/desktop-directories and ~/.local/applications and icons in ~/.local/icons.
    I did creating the submenu by menu editor. Works, but cold'n not find where it is saved. No file was createt in ~/.local/desktop-directories.

What is the way creating new submenus and application starters which works on all desktop (linux) environments?

Linux Enthusiast
    -->
    The very nature of different desktop environments is that they are designed and built by different people/teams. This means they store their stuff if different places, most likely in your $HOME directory somewhere, but not always. You may be editing a system wide menu that lives in /usr/share or something. Try sorting your directories by mtime so you can see the newest changes at the top of the list, and then browsing around until you find it.

Also, try reading the docs for the particular desktop env. They may say something about it.