Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Check it out - a new browser!

Vivaldi - A new browser for our friends

(they're looking for feedback).

Linux Enthusiast
    Their webpage doesn't load properly. It just has this 'thing' that goes round and round while chewing on processor cycles to 50% load.

Hey, I think that's known as HTML5: Does nothing, wastes time and energy, and makes the user think they need to upgrade something. Invented by the lazy brainiacs at some MegaCorp who can't even cut & paste properly.

It is the guy who started Opera Browser and left with some other dudes from Opera and made what they figured Opera Browser shoulda been,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Really? I use ancient Opera-9.62. OK, it has a couple bugs, but otherwise it's everything I need from browser. It even hates the same sites I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    Hey, I think that's known as HTML5: Does nothing, wastes time and energy, and makes the user think they need to upgrade something. Invented by the lazy brainiacs at some MegaCorp who can't even cut & paste properly.

You're talking crap. HTML 5, including all the stuff they've put into .js makes amazing things possible such as this - 3DTin .

Note that I'm not a HTML 5 dev myself, so you can hardly say I'm a fanboy or something.....

Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    You're talking crap. HTML 5, including all the stuff they've put into .js makes amazing things possible such as this - 3DTin .

Note that I'm not a HTML 5 dev myself, so you can hardly say I'm a fanboy or something.....
    Aye, +1 for HTML5. It's already saved me a ton of development time on my own websites. You still end up having to code things in js though...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Enthusiast

You could be right. The sites sure look fancy. None of it works for me unfortunately. My old glibc doesn't allow much room for upgraded binaries, so I have to compile everything from scratch. Browsers don't compile easily, to say the least.

I'm so old-school, I still think all sites should work correctly in lynx. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Miven View Post
    You could be right. The sites sure look fancy. None of it works for me unfortunately. My old glibc doesn't allow much room for upgraded binaries, so I have to compile everything from scratch. Browsers don't compile easily, to say the least.

I'm so old-school, I still think all sites should work correctly in lynx. :P

Ummm..... what's going on? Why don't you just upgrade your distro? Are you on old hardware or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    You still end up having to code things in js though...

Umm,..... is there anything wrong with that?

Linux Enthusiast
    -->
    Ummm..... what's going on? Why don't you just upgrade your distro? Are you on old hardware or something?
    "Legacy" comes to mind, as does "deprecated". All my machines are freebies (or very near free) cobbled together from this and that. My newest PC is over 10 years old, and it runs with the cover off and a fan blowing into it. Ancient, by most perspectives. After 33 years of computers, I sorta refuse to spend money on PCs these days, although I have been musing on a Lenovo ThinkCenter. I might be able to get a used one for cheap. I bought my wife a nice 23" 1080p monitor 2 years ago after pitching her 19" CRT in a recycling bin. My monitor is 19" 4:3 I got for $20 cuz it doesn't have a stand. It hangs from a bit of 12/3 housewire. Very adjustable actually.