Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Word format in linux vs word in windows

Hello all!!

I have noticed something that is puzzling to me.

I have installed Microsoft office word in Linux & I notice that when I load an office document it still loads formatted differently in Linux than in windows.

Alternatively i have used all the popular third party office programs in windows and a word document created by either will load in perfect formatting inside of windows.

How? why?

Any thoughts or answers are welcomed!!!!!

Linux Guru
    Different fonts maybe?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    One assumes you used Wine to install Office Word? Gregm is correct, the fonts may not be the same between Linux and Windows, though you can install Windows TruType fonts in Linux, or in Wine. I have had to do that in the past to get compatible display characteristics. Not for the faint-hearted, but it will work (usually). Myself, I use LibreOffice to manage Office files. The current versions are very compatible! Not perfect perhaps, but pretty darned good, and they get better with each LO release.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is this something that may be due to the different line break formats used between them?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by frostyshade View Post
    Is this something that may be due to the different line break formats used between them?
    Not likely. It is an interesting thought though, and may be worth some investigating. Remember that Word documents these days are in a form of XML so my doubts that this is the case. My best guess is the fonts issues.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!