Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgrading packages/apps POST IS SUSPENDED

I've found I have a number of packages/apps that could be upgraded. Is there a way to do this via the terminal? Is there a program I could install that would monitor installed programs/apps and inform of when they have upgrades available? I've upgraded Asunder, and have D/l the latest packages for VLC and Gthumb, but am unclear as to their installation.
    Could someone point in the right direction?
    THANX:
    [FONT=Century Gothic]Rick [/FONT]
    Last edited by Rixter69; 02-28-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: post is now irrelevant

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Each distribution has a package manager. In fact, this is the biggest difference between each Linux distribution. Debian-based systems (such as Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) use aptitude (apt-get for command line, and synaptic for GUI installations), whereas Red Hat based systems use yum/rpm for this. So, what distribution and version are you running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Hey Rubberman:

it's been awhile. Thank You for responding. I was going to give you all the pertinent information, however, as of last night , this damn laptop crashed SEVERLY, and I'm now running off a pendrive and in "live" (and even that is proving to be aggrivating). So, until I either get this junk heap fixed, or get another laptop, this post is rendered irrelevant.
    Stay Sharp:
    Rick

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Need a nice, reasonably priced Linux latptop? Go to zareason.com
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

-->
    Geez....this was SO simple: sudo apt-get update
    Last edited by Rixter69; 05-01-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: punctuation