Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have encountered this twice now while installing software with the make install command. First off, I downloaded Konstruct to update my KDE to 3.3. I did all the procedural ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Super Slow Software Installs

I have encountered this twice now while installing software with the make install command. First off, I downloaded Konstruct to update my KDE to 3.3. I did all the procedural things properly, but once I began the "make install" it took over two hours to finish.
    Secondly, I had to download Qt 3 to satisfy the KDE installation, and again, same thing; after "make install" it has been 2 hours plus (as I'm typing this) and it still hasn't finished installing. No error messages or anything, the software is installing correctly, but it's just taking forever. When I run urpmi, I have absolutely no problems at all. Everything installs fairly quickly, but when I have to do the tarball thing, I'm sitting here for hours watching the terminal. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

A little about my setup (and don't laugh!)
    Dell Dimension
    Celeron 500mhz
    320mb ram
    C: 12.6 gb Maxtor @7200 (WinXP)
    D: 80gb Maxtor @7200 (12gb Linux ext2 partition, 640mb swap, the rest is just files and folders on fat32)
    Mandrake 10.1
    KDE 3.2

urpmi uses precompiled packages so there's no compiling involved which takes a lot of time when compiling large packages (qt) and very large packages (konstruct/kde) . To compile complete KDE it will take about 3-4 days of compiling on your machine.
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, all of KDE and Qt is probably 100 MB of source code or more, that takes a helluva long time to compile on older machines.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well, the problem I'm having now is even though I've installed Qt3.3, Konstruct says I don't have it on my machine. Perhaps I'm in over my head trying to install KDE on my own.

Did you try installing QT using your pacakge manager or did you compile it from source ?
    Could be that your missing some parts of QT, maybe you'll have to install a QT-devel package as well. This is only valid when you did install packages using your package manager.

Could you provide more information about the error ?
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Engineer
    If you installed Qt in a non standard place (ie not /usr or /usr/local), you'll need to set up some variables. Put these in /etc/profile, or somewhere where all users who will be compiling things using qt will be able to find them:

QTDIR needs to be set to the directory you installed Qt into
    PATH must contain $QTDIR/bin
    would be helpful to include $QTDIR/man in MANPATH
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH should contain $QTDIR/lib , or add the directory to ld.so.conf

Make sure you export these variables.

Sometimes, you still might need to give some options to ./configure like '--with-qtdir=/somewhere/qt' and '--with-qt-includes=/somewhere/qt/include', but you should check './configure --help' to see what it says about that.

Just Joined!
    Well, I got it to find and recognize my Qt files, now I get this message:

You're missing bzip2 development files.
    make[2]: *** [configure-work/kdelibs-3.3.2/configure] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ron/konstruct/kde/kdelibs'
    make[1]: *** [dep-../../kde/kdelibs] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ron/konstruct/kde/kdeaccessibility'
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ron/konstruct/kde/kdeaddons'
    I have the kdelibs that it says are missing, unless I'm misreading the error message. Very frustrating indeed!

You're missing bzip2 development files. <-- that's the error. Solution: install the bzip2-devel package
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    Thanks. Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious to me.

Just Joined!
    This is awfully late, but you probably should investigate a tool in konstruct called "detektive" if you are installing KDE 3.4. It will tell you all the packages you need to install for successfull compilation. It works for SuSE 8.1+ and Mandrake 9.1+.

Go to <path>/konstruct/misc/detektive and type "make".

It will report all required and recommended packages, which you can use urpmi then to install.

Here is an excerpt from my experience:

Code:
    Detected Mandrake 10.1 as distribution.

Checking for known uninstalled rpm packages which may be missing&#58;
     Package&#58; byacc &#40;REQUIRED&#41;
     Package&#58; libungif4-devel &#40;REQUIRED&#41;
     Package&#58; libbzip2_1-devel &#40;REQUIRED&#41;
     Package&#58; libsmbclient0-devel &#40;RECOMMENDED&#41;
     Package&#58; xpdf &#40;OPTIONAL&#41;
      "Required by PDF kfile-Plugin"
    And then to get everything installed:
    Code:
    root@myserver detektive&#93;# urpmi byacc libungif4-devel libbzip2_1-devel libsmbclient0-devel xpdf
    Hope that helps!