Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

thunderbird is running out of space - almost 12 k mails

good evening dear linuxexperts

hope you are fine and all goes well.

i run opensuse 13.1 with tbird and enigmail

the notebook got 250 gb

and i do only use 40 % of this

but the tbird that fetches mails from the server is full of mails.

how can clean the tbird - with ++ 11 k mails

note: some day i want to do a saving
    but how ?

what can i do here in this case?

hmm - i could do empty the Trash folder?
    - and afterwards i could compact the message folders

by the way: does it matter how the account is set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP?
    i can check this out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

note: some day i want to do a saving
    but how ?

i need your help

i need your help - how to start to erase some garbage
    how to do that and how to proceed to keep the tbird clean...

update:

i have to emty the trash-folder
    i did not compact the messaes-folder yet
    it uses the imap.googlemail.com

what can i do now - are there ways to proceed with this
    Last edited by sayhello; 03-05-2015 at 11:31 PM.
    Akoya P 6512 15" OpenSuse 13.2: AMD Athlon X2 P320
    HP Notebook hp 14 r 103ng - running OpenSuse Leap 42.1
    Samsunng q 210, 12,1" OpenSuse 13.1: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Proz. P8400 2,26 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 3 MB

Linux Engineer
    When using "pop" the email is downloaded from the server to your machine. When using "imap" the email is downloaded for viewing from the server.

Usees using "pop" usually delete the downloaded email from the server after downloading (but can be told not to do the deletes). Using "imap" leaves the email on the server and allows viewing from your "smartphome", tablet, computer, etc (you can tell your application to delete the email from the server when you delete it which is not the default).

Remember that the government can read any email on a server as soon as you have read it without a search warrant and any email that is at least 180 days old on a server is considered "abandanded" and can also be read without a search warrant. Both of these date back to the "Electronic Privacy Act of 1986" if you (or others) wish to check it out.

hello dear Alf - great to hear from you

many many thanks for the hints., youre right !

well one can think of different solutions

i can do something like to empty the Trash folder?
    and of course try to compact the message folders? like the mozillafreaks describe here Compacting folders - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    the account setup in Thunderbird,it is IMAP

i found it out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Servertype at the top right of the dialogue.

well to be frank;
    i have to emty the trash-folder
    i did not compact the messaes-folder yet
    i use the imap.googlemail.com

i could free up space on the hard disk by only having a copy of the messages on the IMAP server
    In this case Thunderbird will fetch a message as needed to read it, but won't store it on the hard disk),
    This is described here in depth ://kb.mozillazine.org/Minimize_the_size_of_a_profile

And besides this: as a minimum i could eliminate the all mail folder which doubles the amount of space used to store your messages.

Well and there is another option; i could decide to keep offline folders enabled and have a Gmail
    IMAP account, uncheck "All Mail" in Tools -> Account Settings -> Account Name -> Synchronization & Storage -> Advanced.

Exit Thunderbird and delete "All Mail." and "All Mail.msf" in the accounts local directory.
    The "All Mail" folder in a Gmail IMAP account has a copy of all messages for that account,
    doubling the number of messages downloaded for offline folder

What is the best way... i think that that i have all (!!!) messages at gmail too.
    I need the tbird only as an encryption machine.

note; the tbird runs with enigmail so i do all the pgp-crypted-corresponding with my friend via tbird.
    All the other messages are not necessaryly needed to go into the tbird

question; is there an option that i only fetch the messsages of my friend into the tbird?
    is this doable

simply filter all the other messages out - and fetch only the messages of one guy from the imap at gmail

dear alf - i love to hear from you

greetings
    Samsunng q 210, 12,1" OpenSuse 13.1: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Proz. P8400 2,26 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 3 MB

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hello dear alf55

again many many thanks

update : found some other solutions

on a first glance the both solutions look great

https://webpg.org/
    https://www.mailvelope.com/

look great
    i guess that they will seamlessly integrate on my opensusemachine
    it was sometinmes a hassle to get openpgp and tb to work -
    years ago i had issues with the pinentry and some "assuan-encrypted" files and transfers.

hope that this times are gone.
    note i use kpgp to store the the keys - guess that the above mentioned programmes will work with this also...

alf55 - what do you say.... are they easy to use - in my opensuse

love to hear from you

regards

Linux Engineer
    -->
    I have Enigmail thunderbird addon and it works. The Firefox addon (mailenvelope) seems simple and adds a pop-up when using gmail for the signed and/or encrypted info (I have not used it as I encrypt in an xterm) but it eems easy to use. Remember file names for attachments are present in the "meta-data" that is always talked about. Also when sending a picture from phone/tablet and texting are both done via email. When I added the webpage, it picked up all of my keys and made them available, I have not tried to send an encrypted email yet using either of these browser-based mail clients yet. I will have to check them out.