Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Clonezilla giving me an UEFI error?

First of all, I'm trying to take a larger drive (640GB) and clone it to a smaller one (160GB). Both are sata drives. The partition I want to clone has a Windows 7 64bit OS on it.

I used Gparted to shrink the partition on the larger drive (140GB with out overlapping data. 66GB of data) to fit into the smaller one. After shrinking the partition, I booted to it just to make sure everything was working ok. And yes it booted just fine with the new smaller partition size.

Next, I use Clonezilla to copy the partition the an external drive (worked just fine). Then I tried copying that partition to the new smaller drive (160GB) and I'm getting an error message, "Directory /sys/firmware/efi/efivars NOT found".

Please make sure:
    1. This machine uses UEFI, not legacy BIOS,
    2. You are using Linux Kernel >= 3.9,
    3. The Linux Kernel module efivars is loaded (modprobe efivars).
    Program terminated!!
    EFI system partition was NOT found on this hard drive: /dev/sda
    Program terminated!!

I checked the computer, and yes, it is running in BIOS mode. I looked in the BIOS to see if there was an option for UEFI mode and there wasn't.

Do I need an older version of Clonezilla (one that works in BIOS mode) to make this work?

Also, I'm using Clonezilla stable release - 2.3.2-22

Just a thought, maybe update the firmware on the BIOS?

Thanks for your help,

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If your system doesn't have a UEFI BIOS, then either there is a setting to tell Clonezilla that you have a standard BIOS, or you will have to use an older version as you have surmised.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If your system doesn't have a UEFI BIOS, then either there is a setting to tell Clonezilla that you have a standard BIOS, or you will have to use an older version as you have surmised.
    Where would I get an older version of Clonezilla and what build number am I looking for?

I tried oldapps.com but they didn't have it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What version of Clonezilla are you using? From what I gather from their web site, there are specific versions to use if you DO have UEFI enabled BIOS.

What version of Clonezilla are you using? From what I gather from their web site, there are specific versions to use if you DO have UEFI enabled BIOS.
    I'm using Clonezilla stable release - 2.3.2-22 (the latest one)

Could you send me the link?

Thanks

There are two versions - one for Debian, and one for Ubuntu. Which did you use? Here is a link to the download page, which you probably already have: Clonezilla - Downloads

This is the Clonezilla site search I did for UEFI: Google Custom Search

I'm using the Clonezilla stable release 2.3.2-22 Debian based version. Do you think the Ubuntu based version would work and I wouldn't have issues with UEFI errors?

Also, what's the difference between the two?

I'm not a big Linux guy.

Thanks,

Well, I don't really know. Just whistling in the dark here, but it may be worth a try. Are you SURE you aren't running a UEFI BIOS?

-->
    Well, I don't really know. Just whistling in the dark here, but it may be worth a try. Are you SURE you aren't running a UEFI BIOS?
    Yep I'm sure.

In the "panther" folder is a file called "setupact.log" and in there it will tell you what mode you're running in UEFI or BIOS. I forget the text to search for but it's in there.