Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need to clone 64GB drive over to 32GB drive.

First let me say that Clonezilla is way too complicated for this ol' boy to use. Way too many hoops to jump through. G4L looked easy but I need to have the same size or larger drive to clone over to so it won't work. Is there any uber simple cloning program that'll let me copy my 64GB drive over to a 32GB drive? I'm running Ubuntu MATE in case that makes any difference. If I can't do this then my only other option will be a new install which I can do but would rather not if I can just clone my current install over to the new, smaller SSD drive. Thanks in advance.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Screw it, I just ordered a 128GB SSD for $55 bucks(wow, prices have come WAY down) and I'll just use G4L to clone the 64GB over to the new 128GB.

The easy way to do this is with dd, which makes an exact copy. But then you'll need to resize the 128GB drive with gparted or other tools, because dd will make it 64GB. The dd utility works best with drives of the same size, but it's not that hard to resize the drive afterwards. Just don't try to use dd to clone from a larger drive to a smaller one, and that's problematic with any utility. Buying a larger drive is certainly the smart thing to do.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm just shocked that I could get a 128GB SSD for $55 bucks. Man, have these things come way down in price.

-->
    I installed a 32GB SSD into the D830 and then did my Ubuntu MATE install and got everything set up like I wanted it to be. Then I took the 64GB SSD that was in the D630 and cloned the 32GB drive over to the 64GB drive using an external enclosure and G4L. G4L is uber simple so that even I could do it where I couldn't make heads or tails out of Clonezilla so if anyone is looking for a very simple cloning program then give G4L a try, just burn it to a CD or DVD, boot to it and follow the simple instructions.
    Only thing I had to do after was delete the swap space and unallocated space then reallocate all of it except for the 4GB I use for Swap to ext4 and melt it in with the cloned area then I set up the 4GB left over back to a Swap Space. Easy as pie.