Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Browser PDF plugin for CentOS v6.6 - Landscape printing issue

I am looking for a solution for landscape printing within Firefox on CentOS v6.6 - 64 bit. I have been told that landscape printing was broken in the version of CUPS distributed with CentOS v6.6 and was subsequently fixed in v7.0. Unfortunately, upgrading to 7.0 is not an option for us due to limitation of a third party software application. We simply cannot upgrade to CentOS v7.x or revert to the 32 bit version of 6.6.

Our business need is to correctly print both landscape & portrait PDF document from within Firefox. I don’t want to launch a separate window for Okular or Adobe and have to download the document to the hard drive and then print it.

I know that Firefox has a built in PDF viewer that allows you to open the PDF’s within the Firefox browser and print them. It appears that it basically dumps the print job to CUPS and allows it to format the document and send it to the printer. As such, documents formatted for landscape do not print correctly. They always print in portrait.

I tried installing Adobe v9.3 and then v9.5 along with their plugin, but have not experienced what I would call stable results. My test involved installing Adobe under the 32 & 64 bit versions of Firefox v38. What I found for all tests is that Adobe takes care of rendering the document properly so that landscape and portrait documents print correctly, but when attempting to open any PDF the first time after starting Firefox yields a blank screen instead of the PDF. All subsequent PDF’s open fine. If I restart Firefox, I get the same results. I have been told by others at my company that we had the same problem with our current system back in 2011. Our current system is running the 32 bit version of CentOS v5.6 with Firefox v10. To correct the issue, they removed nspluginwrapper. I tried this on the 32 bit Firefox v38 with Adobe v9.3 and it did not work. I still get a blank screen when attempting to open the first PDF.

I found source for a PDF plugin for Okular, but unfortunately, it requires kdelibs version 5 and CentOS 6 used version 4. Seems like a bit of a rabbit hole to try and retro fit this.

I installed Chrome as a test. It also has a built in PDF view, but it doesn’t render the document for printing. Landscape prints as portrait.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get PDF’s to print correctly from within Firefox? Pretty please? This is really killing me!!!

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Simple solution is to download the PDF, and then use the Adobe Reader application to print the file. That's what I do.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Simple solution is to download the PDF, and then use the Adobe Reader application to print the file. That's what I do.
    Yes, that is my backup plan and it does work, but it's not the desired result for our extensive user base.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If they install Adobe Reader on their system, I think it also installs a browser plugin that works better than Mozilla's does. Not 100% sure of that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If they install Adobe Reader on their system, I think it also installs a browser plugin that works better than Mozilla's does. Not 100% sure of that though.
    Yes, it does get installed, but it is not the desired option. Adobe does not work reliably on our 64 bit version of CentOS v6.6 for whatever reason. It always displays a blank page for the first PDF opened and sometimes, random ones after that. This is on Firefox v31 & v38.

We are currently using it on our 32 bit version of CentOS v5.6 with Firefox v10 and everything is fine. But I cannot get around the blank pages on CentOS v6.6.

-->
    Hmmm. I also run a RHEL 6.6 clone (Scientific Linux) and haven't seen this problem. I also have run it with CentOS 6.x (6.5 or later) and also didn't see this issue. Perhaps the installation was faulty?