Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Small utility app listing all browser extensions installed - feedback

About a month ago there was a rather well-known case (bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909) of Google silently installing their extension to Chromium (which had access to microphone of device). It is never listed in the standard Chromium extension list. Similarly, many adwares install extensions which are not listed as well.

So, as I had some time this weekend, I wrote a small app (in C#) which tries to list all installed extensions (along with their permissions). You can find it here - github.com/RuneWhisper/ShowChromeExtensions. It's cross-platform, if you're on Linux, you'd need a Mono to compile it (just xbuild the root solution file). I can provide binaries as well, should there be need.

Do you think it's useful/not useful?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is a Linux forum. C# apps may run with Mono, but that is still a problem in this environment. Perhaps when MS gets a full .NET stack running on Linux that will change, but today, this sort of app isn't particularly desirable, or useful, here. Just my opinion.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

What's up, Rubberman.
    I started to suspect this is a Linux forum, when I saw the url (linuxforums.org), thanks for confirming it!

But seriously, do tell me more about the problems of Mono. I'm really interested to hear. But, FYI:
    1. Mono is open-source (go check github)
    2. Mono is widely used for cross-platform apps (go check wikipedia for list, e.g. Banshee player)
    3. .NET Core (from MS) runs on Linux

Welcome to 2015. Take a look around.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, MS just very recently released the .NET core on LInux. Not sure yet which kernels and OS versions it works with. Mono was a good start at supporting .NET applications, but because at the time MS was not supporting .NET directly, it was a truly reverse-engineered runtime, so not everything would run well. Things are improving, and sometime in the hopefully not distant future, all .NET applications will run equally well on Windows or Linux. In the meantime, I'm not holding my breath!

Your feedback is appreciated. People here on the Linux Forums need to be aware of what MS is doing with regard to .NET on open source systems.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

-->
    .NET Core isn't production-ready yet, but they seem to be dedicated to supporting non-windows OSes including Linux. As for distros, they seem to be writing instructions for Ubuntu-like ones.