Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Error on Cinelerra problems trying suggested solution on Terminal

Hi people and thanks in advance to those who could help me with this little issue.

I m very new to linux and to commands on terminal, in spite of that I managed to compile Cinelerra on a free software distro ( trisquel ). I got this error message when I run Cinelerra-cv, installation guide says this is normal and that I should ignore it, but the thing is that the program suggests a solution, something that I m trying to type without success at all:

void MWindow::init_shm():WARNING: /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax is 0x2000000, which is too low Before running Cinelerra do the following as root: echo "0x7fffffff">/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

so I go to the terminal and I type

sudo echo "0x7fffffff">/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

and reports:
    bash: /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax: Permission denied

but it does not even asks for sudo password I mean the previous step [sudo] password for "name": andhereItypemypassword just does not appears.

What Im doing wrong ?, I learned by myself and I m not programmer or even keen on linux. What is this error about? Does somebody knows?. Kind regards!.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    You have to do this as root, or with sudo. That's why you are getting the "Permission denied" error.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!