Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why are packages not made up with all the required dependencies included for the application. Surely this would make life easier than trying to track down all those packages. ta ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Packages with all dependencies (probably a stupid question)

Why are packages not made up with all the required dependencies included for the application. Surely this would make life easier than trying to track down all those packages.

ta

simon

newbie :o

Linux Guru
    Because that would make every package require an enormous amount of space. Imagine if, for example, the gedit package would come with all its dependencies included in the package. That would include the entire GNOME library suit, XFree86 libraries and some programs, glibc, libz, the XML libraries, bash, GTK+, etc., etc. It would probably become several hundred MBs.

However, it would be extremely useful with a utility that would automatically download and install the dependencies required for a package. It's not impossible that such a utility already exists, even. Try searching for it on google and see if you come up with anything.

Just Joined!
    Some of the stuff listed above must come as the core of linux and therefore would already be on the system. All you would need is anything specific to the application that is not already in the basic linux build.

I can only refer to how windows works as I am new to linux but under windows the application comes with everything needed to run it, sometimes with updated core windows files to bring it upto a level to run the application.

I'll have a look for a utility to do this though

ta

simon

:o