Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need Help with MPlayer for Linux

Hello,

I am trying to use mplayer for some linux terminals and having some issues. Mplayer will not stream the mp4 videos from the server they reside on, it downloads a copy of the file locally in /tmp and then runs it. if I try to run the video a 2nd time from the source, I get another copy of the video saved in /tmp . video_test.mp4, video_test-2.mp4, etc, etc. Either from the command line or from within the firefox browser this happens.

Ideally I would like to just stream the video but I have also been trying to change the location of the the folder the files go to & then I can just run a cron job to remove the files locally.

Any idea how to change to a different dir instead of /tmp? I have tried using this in both the mplayer .config file and from the command line but it ignores it - vo:outdir=/tmp/mplayer_media.

Otherwise it does just what I want it to do.. a simple video player

Running SuSE 11 sp3 with mplayer 1.0

Thanks,
    Steve

-->
    Perhaps try mpv or update your mplayer. I'm running mpayer 1.2 on MX (Debian)...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.