Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

High School Class HELP!!!

Hi, I am taking a intro to Computer Information Technology class at my high school... and I am have hit a bit of a wall.

My teachers is teaching us about "looking up relevant information on the internet", and therefore refuses to help my fellow classmates and me. He wants us to use each other, and the internet to work out this problem.

He gave us a disc with Slacko Puppy Linux on it and we installed it fine.

The Teacher wants us to be able to run something called PowerSchool which is an online grade book for our class. On a teachers account, the teacher can select to download the grade editor and run the program to edit grades.

Essentially, what we need help with is running the program. We are not sure which file types we need to be able to run, but I assume they are the most basic...?

I know for a fact that we need to be able to run .exe, maybe some sort of Java or something, I don't really know.

The OS we have:
    Puppy Arcade 11 (new release Oct 4th, 2014)

Download: slacko-arcade.iso
    Based on Slacko 5.9.3 beta, kernel 3.4.94
    (md5: 509e44e512f35cce97537a8d20f883a8, size: 266mb)
    Released 4th October, 2014

Basically, we don't really know what to do because .exe will not run on Linux because it is Linux... and not Windows.
    Update: There is a .zip file that is downloaded, so we need to extract that, too.

File Types:
    Windows Command Script
    Setup Information
    Executable Jar File
    Icon
    Setup Infomation

The file we need to work with is here:
    The file is attached

Thanks in Advance!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

No. On Linux, you cannot run any Windows programs, which includes .exe files. I have no idea what Powerschool does, or how it runs, however. You can extract the .zip file with unzip, or a GUI archive utility. I have no idea what is available on Slacko Puppy, that's not really a mainstream distro, but it's easy enough to run on a USB drive, so might be a good choice for the class. You really need to do a lot of reading on how to run Linux, and specifically Slacko Puppy. The documentation should be available, and a Google search should turn it up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    No. On Linux, you cannot run any Windows programs, which includes .exe files. I have no idea what Powerschool does, or how it runs, however. You can extract the .zip file with unzip, or a GUI archive utility. I have no idea what is available on Slacko Puppy, that's not really a mainstream distro, but it's easy enough to run on a USB drive, so might be a good choice for the class. You really need to do a lot of reading on how to run Linux, and specifically Slacko Puppy. The documentation should be available, and a Google search should turn it up for you.

There is no way to run these? One of my class mates found this thing about WINE, but we don't really know how it works or how to make it properly function.

I assume there is a way to get the stuff to run because we are trying to resurrect old PCs for teachers to use.

Any information is much needed.

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you have to run WINE to run a Windows program, you're much better off just running Windows. Why on earth would any teacher have you install Linux to run Windows programs? That makes no sense at all. If the program has no Linux version, then he's wasting your time, and his, by installing Linux in the first place.

We have to run something something extremely light because we are working with laptops that are really old, and the laptops are VERY VERY slow with Win XP. We already tried every other OS.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    unzipping a file is trivial on any OS, you really should look that up (oh, and why don't you use duckduckgo or ixquick instead of the fat ugly G).

running windows software on linux is possible with wine. here's their website: WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X
    i guess it's your task to find out how to install wine on slacko puppy, and if it can run that software.
    i suggest you search both wine and puppy forums first, then the net.

We tried downloading WINE from the Puppy Package Manager and the WINE website, but we are not sure if we did it correctly. As far as looking online, this is our last hope because Puppy is not a well known distro and therefore is not used very much

Well, running Windows executables in WINE inside Linux is going to be about as slow. The .zip file you posted won't work on native Linux. There is a mention of a java version, which means you would have to install java on Linux, which is easy enough to do, but again it's going to be slow running those programs. Are you certain you have the correct file, and that there isn't another one which has a Linux package? If you're stuck with this, it ain't gonna be pretty.

The file posted is the file that needs to be run. I can ask my teacher tomorrow to clarify what we have to do, but he has already told us a couple times. I will talk to him about what I have come across today, but as far as I know, this is what we are stuck with.

I hope anybody can help, Thanks!

-->
    If it were me, I'd try using java, that's better than WINE. But a quick look at the Powerschool website isn't encouraging. They don't mention the OS, but I would assume it's a Windows package, and a huge one at that. I'd be very surprised if it can be successfully run on the hardware you have, but good luck trying. It's a learning experience, after all.