Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, Im trying to compile a driver and everything works until: tar xjf alsa-driver-0.9.4.tar.bz2 cd alsa-driver-0.9.4 tar xjf ../eagd-0.6.0.tar.bz2 tar xjf ../ea-0.6.0.tar.bz2 patch -p0 < EchoaudioPatch.patch vi pci/echoaudio/Makefile --> this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

COMPILING QUESTION

hi, Im trying to compile a driver and everything works until:

tar xjf alsa-driver-0.9.4.tar.bz2
    cd alsa-driver-0.9.4
    tar xjf ../eagd-0.6.0.tar.bz2
    tar xjf ../ea-0.6.0.tar.bz2
    patch -p0 < EchoaudioPatch.patch
    vi pci/echoaudio/Makefile

--> this is where it stops working
    then the lines are preceded by blue ~ signs and i can only input something preceeding" / "
    if I enter /hi for example it says : " Pattern not found : hi "

./cvscompile --with-cards=echoaudio[,other cards] [other options]
    su
    make install
    modprobe snd-echoaudio

Linux Guru
    Apparently you don't know how to use vi. You don't have to use vi, though. Just use any text editor that you like, such as nano, joe, pico, emacs, gedit, kwrite, etc. Or learn to use vi with "vimtutor".

Linux Enthusiast
    although a lot of people are used to vi, I hate it. I would recommend pico, but if you can't get that, then try nano, it is pretty much the same as pico. But as was already said, make sure you know what you are doing before you start using text editors.

nano can be found here:

http://www.nano-editor.org/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I you are to choose a text editor, I would recommend emacs with all my heart. It might be a bit bloated, but in my opinion, it's worth every byte. To learn how to use it, start it and then type Ctrl+H followed by T to bring forth the tutorial. I admit that it is a little hard to get used to the navigation keys when you're used to MS products, but once you do get used to it, it really is much more efficient, since you can keep your hands above one area of the keyboard instead of moving them back and forth all the time.

Linux Engineer
    LEARN VI!!! the first thing you do... you can then edit files on which unix dialect you want, vi is always there and always included. And if you know vi well its a really dynamic tool.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Enthusiast
    everyone has their favorite, so to each his own

Having said that, I still think that the premise behind people saying that everyone should learn and use vi because it is on virtually every distro is absolutely sickening. While it does have merit in practice, it just totally reminds me of windows.

So, vi is shoved down our throats by being included on virtually all distros and often excluding other text editors, so let's be robotic and use vi just cause it's there.

It's a minor thing really, so I am not blowing this out of proportion, but it does resinate with me and reminds me why I stopped using windows as my main OS.

And yes, I know how to use vi, but I prefer pico and nano. They have menus right on the screen and they make sense - even to a newbie who needs to do some text editing. You don't have to access a separate menu and use idiotic key combinations like esc and :w and :q . I've always thought that was so stupid.

Just my humble opinion, people can use what they want, I just wish distros included more than vi. I solved that problem with red hat 9 by including the Pine package which installs pico.

Linux Guru
    Although I can agree that newbies should look to pico and nano for their text editing, I do not think that that is a good long term solution.

I haven't used vi extensively - I just know the absolute basics - but I have used emacs very extensively, so I will not hear any bad things spoken about key combinations, such as C-u M-! for inserting the output of a shell command at the point or C-x r s a and C-x r i a for moving data to and from register a. Not to mention C-x 4 b to open a buffer in a new window. And menus taking a lot of precious monitor space where you could see your program instead; well, I do better without them.

Although it is certainly not a good reason to use vi exclusively because it exists on every UNIX, it is a good reason for actually learning it. Then you can decide whether or not to use it. Then again, I haven't used vi much at all, but from what I've seen, it doesn't seem that bad once you get the hang of it. It does truly seem like a programmer's editor. It also starts a lot faster than emacs and takes a lot less memory, so I guess I will learn to use it some day, but for now I'm more than content with emacs.