Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, having a huge problem trying to install XMMS on fedora core 3. Basically when i go to ./configure i get told that i don't have glib-2.1.1. With this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xmms and glib

Hi all,

having a huge problem trying to install XMMS on fedora core 3.
    Basically when i go to ./configure i get told that i don't have glib-2.1.1.

With this i went and downloaded glib 2.3.1 and did ./configure then install then make and it all seemed fine.

I went to ./configure xmms again and i got the same output, i'm totally confused as to why this is happening, i noticed the output says it cannot find glib-Config script installed by glib. I'm confused! Should my install of GLIB have made this file?!?!

I've seen this problem crop up on a few forums but i can't find an answer. Am i doing something wrong when installing glib? i can find a file called glibconfig.h in my /usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include and theres also a load of files that sound like config in the directory /home/user /glib-2.3.1 where i made the install!

I've tried loads of stuff including altering the $PATH variable to look in these directories, moving files around, trying other multimedia (MP3 is what i want) players.

Please help if you can,

thanks

Stuart

Linux Enthusiast
    look in you glib sources directory and do
    Code:
    find ./ -name "glib-config" -print
    if this doesn't work, try replacing glib with glibc or libc. If it finds a file, should not have an extension, copy it to /usr/local/bin. Try running the configure script for xmms again.
    [/code]

Linux Engineer
    Download and install glib 2.1.1 like it said. Glib dependencies can be hell, best to use the specific version it says it needs to avoid mass confusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close