Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing automake, autoconf, check, libtool, etc to custom directory

Hi,
    I would like to install the lates automake, autoconf, check, libtool and anything else needed to run the automake testsuite on CentOs 6.6

I would like to install to my home directory. I struggle setting up all paths and links to only use these tools.

Is there a "readable" tutorial on how to install and use these tools?

Thanks in advance!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you use yum, it will by default install them in the global system directories such as /usr/bin, etc. The --installroot=dirname option may do what you want.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thank,
    I already have the automake & co installed, but I need a later version. I also need to make a script or tutorial for installing a specific version on several different systems so that it works the same way independent of the native installation

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So you are building from source? If so, there is likely a configure script in the root source directories which should take a --prefix=dirname option. Then when you run "make install" it and all the associated files will be put there. You might want to verify if you need to also install some updated libraries. FWIW, by default, the configure scripts usually install into /usr/local instead of /usr.

Yes, from source. I've run the installation with prefix. Now I have started setting up the environment so the new autotools are used. It's try and fail and a lot of searching. I'm ably to compile and execute a simple program and a script based test. So it starts to work. I'am most interested in the testsuite. The standard(?) "money" example Failes when running autoreconf, but I've got so far and will try a bit more before asking for more specific help.
    Thanks anyway!

-->
    Make sure your local PATH environment variable is set to use your local bin directories first, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use your local lib directories first as well.