Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Browser history is showing old pages as recent?

Backstory:

I am using Chromium. For some time I have had problems with it. Could either be from advanced malware (on linux) or an extremely bad bug in the software. Today I left the charger off, came back and found my laptop off after it ran out of battery. I though I must have left it off. Turned it on. Opened Chromium and Firefox and restored all my tabs. They opened.

Then my laptop shut down. I though maybe a hardware defect? Nope. The battery was drained. I connected the charger opened it again and did the same with my tabs. I believe the computer shut down again (maybe the system was unstable due to a lack of power?).

Turned it on. Opened tabs, clicked restore tabs in Chromium and nothing restored. My 30-60 tabs were gone. Could not recover them.

What is happening?

But one of the most irritating features of Chomium, that all tabs load straight away when you click restore, caused some tabs to be in my recent history. I started going through the tabs and noticed some tabs I must have closed a couple weeks ago, showing as being accessed today.

This makes no sense to me.

Could this be as a result of malware?

I have also noticed Chromium tabs using hundreds of thousands of MBs for simple tabs.

This has caused 20-30 tabs at time causing Chromium to use more than 3-4GB RAM. Sounds like serious memory leakage? Closing those tabs does not always free the RAM.

I found out how much RAM tabs were taking by pressing Shift + Esc

I am using linux Mint btw. 17.3 I believe

Linux Guru
    you need to fix your laptop's power management so that it goes to hibernate (or shutdown) BEFORE it is completely drained.

there's no way of knowing what could happen to your file system when the electric current just dies out, it might create all sort of havoc, including ghost files and and...

after you fixed that, i recommend to remove ALL chromium config files, also cache, and start from scratch.
    look in: ~/.cache, ~/.config, ~/.local/share, /tmp and possibly other locations.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    you need to fix your laptop's power management so that it goes to hibernate (or shutdown) BEFORE it is completely drained.

there's no way of knowing what could happen to your file system when the electric current just dies out, it might create all sort of havoc, including ghost files and and...

after you fixed that, i recommend to remove ALL chromium config files, also cache, and start from scratch.
    look in: ~/.cache, ~/.config, ~/.local/share, /tmp and possibly other locations.
    I don't have a SWAP space so Hibernate is not possible.

I tried to configure it to sleep at a certain % of battery but "When the battery is critically low" on the Power Management screen says "Do nothing" and doesn't show me an option to even put it to sleep.

Could the power loss have caused any files to become deleted? I don't think any files were open at the time, only my browsers. Though if I did have files open, could the power loss have caused loss of data?

Would following your steps delete my Chromium history? I am going through it to try and find old tabs I lost.

Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by Alire View Post
    I don't have a SWAP space so Hibernate is not possible.
    why doesn't anybody ever read a complete post?
    that's exactly why i wrote "(or shutdown)".

you MUST fix your power management.
    it is of absolute & paramount importance.

you cannot leave your operating system running until electric current trickles out, there's just no way of knowing (so stop asking) what that might do to it.