Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

split console like a book

Hello everybody,
    This is a crazy question, but craziness is welcome in linux forums - isn't it ?
    I work a lot in console (no X windows), mostly for viewing and editing program files. My laptop has a rather wide screen, which means I see a few lines of code but the left half of the screen is almost useless. I would like to make a better use of the left half of the screen.
    But I don't want two consoles. I want only one virtual console, double the height of the screen, half the width of the screen, cut in half, its upper half displayed in the right half of the screen, its lower half displayed in the left half of the screen. Like a book, you see ?
    I know there are several solutions for splitting the console (terminal multiplexers), e.g. screen or tmux. I haven't studied them in full detail, but I have the feeling they don't do the "book" trick - do they ?
    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks a lot
    Cristian Barbarosie
    Last edited by barbaros; 01-26-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: tiny typo

Linux Guru
    no, they don't.

without X, that's what you have at your disposal: tmux, screen.
    also have a look at byobu.

even with X, what you want precisely doesn't exist.
    i could think of a few tricks to get vertical scrolling, but not the right-to-left pages you are thinking of.
    and why? it will not help you with productivity. it has no practical value.

Well, thank you for your answer.

I find it useful for reading and editing a long program (with rather short lines). As I said, it's like a book, you can see more text on two pages side by side than on one page only.

I guess I'll have to build my own dedicated application. Probably by getting my hands dirty and tweaking the console driver.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    no, they don't.

without X, that's what you have at your disposal: tmux, screen.
    also have a look at byobu.

even with X, what you want precisely doesn't exist.
    i could think of a few tricks to get vertical scrolling, but not the right-to-left pages you are thinking of.
    and why? it will not help you with productivity. it has no practical value.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by barbaros View Post
    I guess I'll have to build my own dedicated application. Probably by getting my hands dirty and tweaking the console driver.
    i think you should rather go with the app offered at LQ, where you asked the same question.

-->
    The application tcvt (see subdivi.de/~helmut/tcvt) does what I want.
    See also the thread at linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-kernel-70/split-console-like-an-open-book-4175598298/ (already referred by nihili).