Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Any good tool packs for offline storage?

Are there any good software packs (zip, z7, rar, tar, etc) with Linux tools/programs for download in case you're offline or on a slow/expensive connection and simply cant sudu apt yum everything...? I'm thinking for like for very general use and maybe like some basic sysadmin, network and rescue stuff that doesnt automatically follow with every distro...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When copying such from system to system I use either tar.gzip or tar.bzip2 formats. bzip2 is a bit better in the compression department, but much slower in compression and decompression than gzip, so I usually use gzip. IE: tar zcvf filename.tgz <directory/file list>
    You can leave the v option off if you don't want to see all the files being added to the archive.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

xz probably, it uses the LZMA2 algorithm, tar does not compress anything, rar is not part of Linux world.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You misunderstand my question. I'm looking for Linux software bundles. Like in torrents or FTPs, already compressed, because I'm too lazy to make one myself...

Well i already kinda did, but you always miss something important.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Since Gentoo is a source-based distribution, all packages are in a compressed tar format. The biggest issue is one of dependencies.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    -->
    maybe the answer is different for source-based distros like gentoo, but generally speaking:
    Quote Originally Posted by mindsword View Post
    and simply can sudo apt yum everything...?
    (applied corrections to text)
    NO.
    you would very soon run into version mismatch problems.
    it would only ever reliably work while both the "software pack" and the distro installing to are in the exact same state of up-to-dateness.
    a futile exercise.

otoh, it is becoming more and more common to run apps in their own containers (i believe the proper term is), a bit like the ol' "portable" concept...

so yes, maybe, but not with a linux distro package management system.