Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need help with KVM.

Hello,

I'm using Fedora 25 KDE spin, I've install Virtual Manager, KVM, QEMU.

Every time I start Virtual Manager, I'm being asked for root password, with the message: "System policy prevents management of local virtualized systems".

When I try to create a new virtual machine with an ISO on harddisk, I'm getting this error: "The emulator may not have search permissions for the path 'filepath'" with the question "Do you want to correct this now?"

At the storage pool and volume creation, I'm having problems creating on a partition I've dedicated to virtual machines, and when I select an already created VDI file, I'm getting "The emulator may not have search permissions for the 'filepath'" with the question "Do you want to correct this now?"

Will choosing 'yes' to above question mess up file system? Or pose a risk?

Linux Engineer
    -->
    VirtualManger uses the owner 'qemu' in most of its installations. They should be using "group" access but they do not and writes will change ownership to user 'qemu'. I use a spreadsheet (with a csv file used my a script and do not use virtual manager due to onwership issues). But then I have been using Unix since 1976 and see that the 'virtual manager should use group ownership rather than user ownership as that is much more flexible as a user can be a member of the group and others at the same time but there can only be one user.