Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Long-term supported WYSIWYG Linux editor?

I used to be a Mac user, and I built my website (www.stfrancisfarm.org) with iWeb. I'm switching over to Linux; I've downloaded my website from the server and am trying to revise it on my EliteBook 8570p running Linux Mint Rebecca. I asked about WYSIWYG web editors on the Mint forums and people suggested Seamonkey Composer. I installed that and am slowly learning how to create and revise pages, with some frustration about image-handling features. As I tried to look up help articles I noticed several references to Seamonkey not being supported any longer.

Am I correct in thinking that this means that a site built with Seamonkey, like our former site built with iWeb (also unsupported for some years before we quit it), is likely to be vulnerable to hackers in a way that a site built with software wouldn't be?

Is there a WYSIWYG Web editor which will run on my machine and on Mint Rebecca and which would also have long-term support?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Just use a good text editor such as VIM, gedit, nedit, etc. They are truly WYSISYG editors.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Sorry, my ignorance is showing here. I had thought that text editors required knowledge of HTML code and WYSIWYG editors allowed a more drag-and-drop, graphic-interface option for users who don't know how to code. Was I wrong about that? What I'm asking for is a drag-and-drop program.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are text editors and then there are code editors. Most of these are text and code editors that will do your indentations, brace/bracket matching, etc and can be set to the programming language you are using so they will highlight syntax elements. In any case, you still have to know how to code unless you are using some more sophisticated package, and then you are at their mercy. I never use those because they don't do precisely what I want, and some have serious security flaws.

Linux Guru
    iweb is dead!
    wysiwig html editors are so dead!

i once tried exactly what you do - salvage an iweb created website.
    it was sheer horror, and i ended up rewriting it from scratch. with geany, not a wysiwig editor.

but these days people use CMS or site generators like e.g. jekyll.
    yes, there's a learning curve, but i repeat: nothing can salvage what iweb created.

Thank you both. We're basically rebuilding from scratch in Seamonkey Composer now, and missing iWeb... Good to know the limits on WYSIWYG software; this prevents me poking around and trying others to see if they're more flexible than Composer.

You still need to review the generated code for security and other issues. NEVER depend 100% on tools to do what you want/need. At the end of the day, YOU are responsible for the results!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JoannaCW View Post
    Thank you both. We're basically rebuilding from scratch in Seamonkey Composer now, and missing iWeb... Good to know the limits on WYSIWYG software; this prevents me poking around and trying others to see if they're more flexible than Composer.
    there's also bluefish.
    it's in most distros' repos.
    it can also be used as a "normal" code editor and is quite good, i believe.

but how are you going to deal with e.g. responsive design on a wysiwig editor? (pssst, the answer is: not at all) - it's just so 1999...

i still recommend tackling the learning curve of using either a content management system, or a site generator.

-->
    Thank you both.

Rubberman, can you suggest any online tutorials for how to find and recognize corrupted files?

Nihili, I am fine with being so 1999.... I just want to be able to post text and pictures on the Web with some more flexibility than template-based models allow. I don't need enabled comments, online video or anything else complicated.

I do, though, need to figure out how to handle site security....