Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Light media player for old PC

Hello,
    I have an old PC with xubuntu on it. I usually use VLC for watching videos and it works fine, but I've found it's pretty heavy on resources.
    I was trying to watch a 720p video and VLC can't play it (it works but at about 5 frames per second or something like that). I thought the PC is not enough powerful to run it but I was wrong. When I've tried to play that video with Parole (XFCE's media player) it worked like a charm!
    The sad thing is that Parole is full of bugs and I can't skip forward or backwards the video because it crashes everytime.

Smplayer works better than VLC but it isn't as smooth as Parole. Can you suggest me some other lightweight media player like Parole? I don't care about advanced settings or features, I just need to watch some videos

Inviato dal mio M3s utilizzando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by allin View Post
    Hello,
    I have an old PC with xubuntu on it. I usually use VLC for watching videos and it works fine, but I've found it's pretty heavy on resources.
    I was trying to watch a 720p video and VLC can't play it (it works but at about 5 frames per second or something like that). I thought the PC is not enough powerful to run it but I was wrong. When I've tried to play that video with Parole (XFCE's media player) it worked like a charm!
    The sad thing is that Parole is full of bugs and I can't skip forward or backwards the video because it crashes everytime.

Smplayer works better than VLC but it isn't as smooth as Parole. Can you suggest me some other lightweight media player like Parole? I don't care about advanced settings or features, I just need to watch some videos

Inviato dal mio M3s utilizzando Tapatalk
    If you can get hardware decoding with your video card then VLC (and most other players) will work a lot better.

As for a simple, yet feature rich app I'd suggest mpv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jecxjo View Post
    If you can get hardware decoding with your video card then VLC (and most other players) will work a lot better.

Do you mean with video card (AMD) drivers? They are unusable with my video card

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Are you implying you are using your AMD card without drivers?

Hi, What kind of video card you have? (model)

Linux Newbie

Light media player for old PC

I have an ATI Xpress 1100.
    I'm trying to install the fglrx drivers now on my Xubuntu 17.04. With the previous versions of Ubuntu and Fedora I only get a monitor full of colored stripes.
    Last edited by allin; 08-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Are you implying you are using your AMD card without drivers?
    Yes, I always used my PCs without ATI drivers because I can't be able to make them work

How to Install the Latest MPV Media Player in Ubuntu 16.04 | UbuntuHandbook

For youtube on old rigs. I make sure smplayer is installed 1st. Before installing smtube player.

How To Install SMPlayer With mpv Support In Ubuntu Or Linux Mint [Updated] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

SMPlayer Youtube Browser. Play YouTube videos with your favorite media player

My suggestions work on my P3 IBM T23 1000hz cpu with 1 gig of ram. My graphics chip is savage and I use the vesa driver . New Xorg and old Savage Linux driver do not play well together.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jecxjo View Post

Thank you, mpv is great! I thought it's difficult to use a command line media player, but I was wrong. When launched it's like every other media player. It works fine!

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    How to Install the Latest MPV Media Player in Ubuntu 16.04 | UbuntuHandbook

For youtube on old rigs. I make sure smplayer is installed 1st. Before installing smtube player.

How To Install SMPlayer With mpv Support In Ubuntu Or Linux Mint [Updated] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

SMPlayer Youtube Browser. Play YouTube videos with your favorite media player

My suggestions work on my P3 IBM T23 1000hz cpu with 1 gig of ram. My graphics chip is savage and I use the vesa driver . New Xorg and old Savage Linux driver do not play well together.
    Thank you too, I'll try smplayer to watch YouTube videos. Interesting

Linux Guru
    -->
    ...additionally, disable compositing from xubuntu's settings panel (i think it's under window manager tweaks => effects).

btw, +1 for vlc being too heavy.
    thankfully, we have mpv nowadays.
    but mplayer is good, too.