Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing applications on Kali and they disappear after reboot!

Using Kali on usb and having problems making the installed apps stick to the os. The app works fine, only it disappears after the reboot. How do I stop this and where did I go wrong? Thank you much!

Quote Originally Posted by Maikipile View Post
    Using Kali ...
    This is your problem, right there. There are hundreds of Linux distros, why did you choose the one which is not suitable for you?

where did I go wrong
    Running live probably instead of a install. I suggest you download and read a bit.

https://www.kali.org/download-kali-linux-revealed-book/

Also. Running Kali Live on USB stick can be a colossal waste of time for a newbie like you unless you are a genius . Which this thread shows. You may not be one.

Anyways. . It always helps to go to the source.

https://forums.kali.org/
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    They have no love for wannabe hackers on Kali forums, that's why they emerge all over the internet.

Linux Guru
    Using Kali on usb and having problems making the installed apps stick to the os. The app works fine, only it disappears after the reboot. How do I stop this and where did I go wrong? Thank you much!
    just to be clear:

1. this is normal when you run a live session.
    2. this is the default for kali linux
    3. installing kali linux is possible, but tricky, and at least partly defeats the distro's purpose.

so, the advice is:
    1. choose another distro
    2. follow its installation instructions

I'm not a dumb cookie, just been using PC for my entire life. I don't have the time that most have to study script. I'm more of a bottom up type of person because of this. I can use Kali proficiently just don't have everything memorized. So which distro do you suggest that I can use off USB and that I can customize with apps, but has a nice package already like firefox browser, Libre and isn't exactly for kiddies. Thanks

Linux Guru
    -->
    I'm not a dumb cookie, just been using PC for my entire life. I don't have the time that most have to study script. I'm more of a bottom up type of person because of this. I can use Kali proficiently just don't have everything memorized. So which distro do you suggest that I can use off USB and that I can customize with apps, but has a nice package already like firefox browser, Libre and isn't exactly for kiddies. Thanks
    nobody suggested any of this.
    in fact, usually kali linux newbie questions are treated much more harshly (including the kali linux people themselves).

anyhow, what you're looking for is "linux live usb with persistence" - because a full install to a usb would be much too slow, you use a hybrid solution like that.

many distros offer this. i once tried it with antix and was happy.